Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 refletching over wraps >

refletching over wraps

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

refletching over wraps

Old 05-23-2006, 05:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default refletching over wraps

I have been thinking about trying wraps on my arrows but my question is if you damage a fletching and need to refletch and arrow do you have to remove the wrap? If not how do you get the fletching off without damageing the wrap. Thanks Mike
Old 05-23-2006, 07:00 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: refletching over wraps

Mike,

I have a few arrows fletched with wraps, everytime i had to replace a vane, i stripped everything incuding the wrap.
You have to be very careful to not to damage the wrap stripping the vane, which i think is next to impossible, especially if you are using aae fastset,and goatuff type super glues.
You might stand a decent chance not having to replace the wrap if you are using feathers and bohning platinum glue.

Old 05-23-2006, 07:01 AM

That's a good question. It's been my experience that replacing a vane/feather on a wrapped (or dipped for that matter) arrow requires compromising the wrap in some way.

One thing that I have done on some of my wrapped practice arrows is: carefully razorblade the vane off including the wrap material just below the vane.I use a very little offset when I fletch my arrows so this process is a little easier than trying to follow the contour of a hard helical-set vane. I then clean that bare portion of the arrow with a Q-tip just damp with Acetone andthenfletch directly over that spot. You will most likely have to check and recheck placement of the dry clamped vane over this spot before applying any glue. If you're not turning your nocks after fletching your arrows then this will be a bit easier task.

Old 05-23-2006, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

You are going to have to replace the wrap as well. That is one of the dis-advantages of wraps.
Old 05-23-2006, 07:20 PM
Banned

You have to tear of the old wrap and start over.
Old 05-25-2006, 03:56 PM

I have had some success w/ refletching in the same spot. Sometimes the wrap doesn't come up w/ the glue, sometimes it does. If you fletch your own arrows it is pretty easy to put the new fletch in the same spot as the old, making any imperfections in the wrap unnoticeable.