Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Bow poundage question - 70 vs 80 >

Bow poundage question - 70 vs 80

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bow poundage question - 70 vs 80

Old 05-10-2006, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bow poundage question - 70 vs 80

I too was on the macho train anduse to shoot heavy bows. I started out at 80# and shot that for years, then down to 70# for a few years, now for the last 5yrs i've been shooting 60# and may end up going lower before it's all said and done.I have bad shoulders at the age of 44and i have no doubt at all that it came from the years of shooting those heavy weight bows. When i hear someone talk about shooting 80# now a days it makes my shoulder ache just thinking about it. I totally agree with Arthurwhen he says toleave the heavy weights to those going on safari for elephants andCape buffalo. Indeed very good advice!
Old 05-10-2006, 03:00 PM

I have shoot many many elk with my bow EVERY one of them has died in less than 100 yards.
Not arguing, just asking. Do you think that's because of the poundage or a well placed shot? I GUARANTEE you it was because of a well placed shot. The high poundage had not a thing to do with it.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:36 PM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

Kcison do'nt kill your self with a heavy bow, when things get cold ,it becomes a bitch to pull these monsters back,your arms just stiffen up.Rich
Old 05-10-2006, 09:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

I heard someone put it this way once: Do you care if your arrow blows through the deer and sticks in the ground six inches or ten inches?
Old 05-11-2006, 07:18 AM

I just don't understand this fixation with SPEED. If you want to shoot 300+ FPS at 100 yards why not use a rifle? I thought the whole idea of bowhunting was to get close to our quarry. I shoot 63 pounds I have no clue how fast as I've never shot through a chrono, don't really care either. JMHO. If I could hit anything with a longbow or recurve I, personally,would hunt with one, but I cant hit the proverbial broadside of a barn.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like that Greg/Mo...I'll remember that one. Thanks for responding.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

by the way kcison, good seeing you post on here again...

Don't know if you've been on since I switched usernames; I was MQ1shooter. Wow... felt weird typing that again.

Anyway, stop by more often...
Old 05-14-2006, 07:20 PM

Shooting 90lbs plus and a 600 plus grain arrow and not getting pass throughs on elk? Yikes. Almost unbelievable....at least if you are taking good shots.
I have a buddy that shoots a bear with a shooting star cam. Around 650 grains at 265 a 2419 to be exact. Nothing stops that arrow. Not hog shields, not deer shoulders, not elk ribs. I saw him shoot through the brisket of a 200 lb deer and the arrow blew out the rear femur, passing through.
Old 05-14-2006, 07:24 PM

The draw cycle on some of these newer bows allow us to go heavier, if we like. For example...my 05 allegiance is easier to hold at 84 lbs than my patriot dually, 03, was at 73. I shoot the allegiance at 78. I shoot it well at that weight. I would hazard a guess to say that my allegiance at 78 is easier to draw and hold than a lot of the bows of the past where some of you guys hurt your shoulders.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:07 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

Will he benefit? Most likely not. What I mean is this. Speed will increase, KE will increase, momentum will increase and bad shoulders will also increase. You reach a point of diminishing returns here. If you're shooting 70# and producing let's say 73 pounds of KE......yer gonna blow through most anything you shoot. How much more could you possibly benefit from shooting 80#?

There's some financial reasons as well. When you go to trade that 70 #'er in, you'll have a much easier time finding someone to buy it. Only very few people shoot 80's making them an item not in much demand.
What he said. I shoot a 70# Trykon and I just can't see any reason I would need any more speed. Consider too that most treestand shots are 10-20 yds. To me archery is a close up in your face sport. I don't want to get good at shooting at 100 yds with a bow. I also don't see myself elephant hunting.

Quick Reply: Bow poundage question - 70 vs 80

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.