Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Porpoising arrows >

Porpoising arrows

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Porpoising arrows

Old 01-11-2002, 06:54 PM

Default Porpoising arrows

Does any one know if nocks that are very very tight can cause arrows to porpoise,or make high left tears while paper tuning. By the way i'm left handed
Old 01-11-2002, 11:12 PM

Default RE: Porpoising arrows

I don`t exactly know how it affects arrow flight. My nocks were a little too tight when I first got my new bow and the arrow flight was a bit erratic until the bugs got worked out. But I was also tinkering with a bunch of other stuff besides the nock fit, too. The arrow should clip snuggly onto the string. You should still be able to point the bow at the ground and sharply tap the string and the arrow should fall. Or so I have been told.

Good luck.

The Mouse
Old 01-12-2002, 08:29 AM

As Mouse stated the nocks should snap on fairly easily and should not have to be forced on the serving. Too loose of a nock fitting can also be a problem effecting accuracy. Nocks do wear out and should be replaced time to time as routine maintenance. If a nock is hit by another arrow, I would definately replace it, there is too much of a chance of having it split causing even greater problems.
Old 01-14-2002, 01:54 PM

I had a similar problem with my Jennings Unitech. I was shooting 27" 2117's. My nocks were also somewhat tight. I found out eventually that my arrows were underspined, causing them to porpoise in flight due to the intial pressure exserted on them. Ultimately I decided to change my arrow size to an arrow with a little more spine. I went with xx78 2315's. This depends on what kind of set up you are shooting.

Another thing you may wish to try is to check your nocking point as it may be too high or too low. If the nock is too low then your are placing a lot of force onto the arrow rest. When the arrow is released it causes the arower to bend, and inturn, vertically wabble in flight.

These are some things to consider which worked for me.

TWDT
Old 01-16-2002, 06:59 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-17-2002, 12:15 PM

Be carefule with your grip. I was helping a right hander that was tearing high right EVERY TIME no matter what I did to his bow. I worked with him on his grip and 5 arrows latter he was shooting bullet holes.
Try a low wrist, VERY relaxed grip.

Good luck!
John