Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Changing strings how often? >

Changing strings how often?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Changing strings how often?

Old 03-19-2006, 11:51 AM
Typical Buck

Default Changing strings how often?

I shoot a 2004 bowtech Justice. I shoot twice a week[ 50 arrows each
time] for 2 months prior to bow season, and what I shoot during the season at deer.When should I think about changing the string? It
doesnt seem like it has stretched at all to me.

THANKS
Old 03-19-2006, 01:01 PM

Default RE: Changing strings how often?

i think it would be a good idea to change before your seasonal practice begins, once a year. people go 2 yrs if that's all they shoot too.
people who shoot all the time - arrow junkies, every 6-9 months.

i think some of this depends on poundage, and care also.
Old 03-19-2006, 06:36 PM

Gibblet, I know you definitely know your strings, just from reading other peoples posts! You mentioned string care...I had the same string and cables on my Ultratec for four years! I shoot about 100 arrows a week, year round, and wax my cables and string once a week (with Tex-Tite), making sure to work the wax in real good with my thumb and forefinger. I check the cams for burrs and the string and cables for any wear. I had a new set in my tackle box since I owned the bow and when I took it to the shop for a "tune-up", the pro told me thatgiven the condition that the original set was in, he wouldn't bother changing them. When I sold the bow (with the same set on it), the guy who bought it thought I was pulling his leg when I told him how old the string and cables were (and he still has the new set in his tackle box.
Old 03-19-2006, 07:41 PM

was it d-75?the ones thatcame on the hoyt.
Old 03-19-2006, 07:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: jag-mag
.When should I think about changing the string? It
doesnt seem like it has stretched at all to me.
THANKS
Remember, stretch is a temporary elongation and creep is a permanate elongation. A rubber band stretches, a bow string does not.

When a bow's string lengthens permanately, it creeps or crept, Just trying to help education.
Old 03-19-2006, 08:13 PM

ORIGINAL: gibblet

was it d-75?the ones thatcame on the hoyt.
No, BCY 450+
Old 03-19-2006, 08:32 PM

Hey gibblet,
What material are the new Fuse strings (on the Trykon) made of?
Old 03-19-2006, 09:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Gibblet - How many shots would you put on a string in a short amount of time? If you put a ton of shots on a string in a 3-4 month timeframe, would you switch it? Would you wait for it to show signs of wear? I now have 5000 shots on that 3 color, and I am wondering how far I should push it? No problems so far.......hasn't even creeped and isn't fuzzy at all.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:21 AM

i believe the fuse is ts1+, that's what i believe but i could be wrong. those strings are basically ruined before they ever get put on the bow(in my opinion, and the opinion of the 3 people i talk to about strings who most of you have heard of.)

rick, i don't know bro. have you turned your poundage up yet? i would think they'd last quite a while at 53#, but up to 60# for 3d season i may change them out after the season as much as you shoot.

this is an area i'm no expert in, at all. i've never had a string break on me while shooting so i have no real time-table. i would really, really like to keep it that way. i always lean on the safeside, and its really just guessing on my end so i don't want anybody to take what i'm saying as anything difinitive. i've seen some strings on real good shooters bows i'd be scared to shoot, but they're too superstitious to change them.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gibblet
rick, i don't know bro. have you turned your poundage up yet? i would think they'd last quite a while at 53#, but up to 60# for 3d season i may change them out after the season as much as you shoot.

this is an area i'm no expert in, at all. i've never had a string break on me while shooting so i have no real time-table. i would really, really like to keep it that way. i always lean on the safeside, and its really just guessing on my end so i don't want anybody to take what i'm saying as anything difinitive. i've seen some strings on real good shooters bows i'd be scared to shoot, but they're too superstitious to change them.
Gotcha. I am now up to 59 lbs and it is maxed out. I will probably switch it sometime around 8000 shots I am guessing.

Quick Reply: Changing strings how often?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.