Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Rainy days, arrow affects >

Rainy days, arrow affects

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Rainy days, arrow affects

Old 03-10-2006, 01:49 AM

Default Rainy days, arrow affects

Aloha All,
Ive hunted in the rain before and have taked 10 to 15 yd shots and hit my target . But Im getting more serious about hunting and putting more time and thought into it.
I have heard and understand gravity plays a big part about arrow flight .My ???? is what about rain ?? Does anyne shoot differently in soft or hard pouring rain. Could it have a negative affect on arrow flight??.
Just thought Id throw that out there and see what you all thought.
Old 03-10-2006, 05:20 AM

Default RE: Rainy days, arrow affects

So far I have not hunted in the rain, BUT I have practiced in the rain. I practiced for about an hour in a pretty good downpour from 10 out to 40 yrds. I couldn't see a difference in arrow flight or poi at all.

Only thing different was that my wife was laughing at me and calling me "crazy!, stupid!, idiot!, you're eat up with the dumba$$!"

Old 03-10-2006, 05:58 AM
Spike

Ive never shot in the rain, but to me it would make sense that a hard down pour would affect the arrow
Old 03-10-2006, 06:35 AM

If you shoot with feathers, the moisture will ruin your arrow flight! I was practicing a few years ago in a reallight mist, and after about 10 minutes my shots were all over the place. I examined my feather fletches and noticed that they were matted down. I bought a bottle of powder to treat them against the moisture, but shortly after put a fall-away rest on and switched to plastic vanes, so I don't really know how well the powder works.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've hunted in snow,rain and sleet,and I did not notice anything diffent in arrow flight 10-30 yds.I use plastic vanes,I try to shake the water of the arrows periodicaly.
BBJ
Old 03-10-2006, 09:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't think the rain affects the arrow nearly as much as it affects the bow and the archer. A wet bow seems to be sluggish and maybe has it's tune affected by water getting in the works. And a cold, wet archer never shoots his best. Bad arrow flight is more likely caused more by those two things, even though wet feathers often getblamed for it.
Old 03-12-2006, 05:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not a good idea to hunt in downpoor , due to loss of blood trail . Some times a pefectly placed shot animal will go 10 yards , other times , they may go several hundred yard with a perfect shot . Fletchdry for feathers works great if feathers are your choice , I know they are my choice .
Old 03-12-2006, 10:46 PM

very true about blood trail.[:@]
Old 03-13-2006, 07:05 AM
Fork Horn

it wont effect it as much if it is a light rain then if it was hard rain
Old 03-13-2006, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I love my bow too much to take it out in the real rain. I have been out in a light rain with no effect on my arrows but think about itas fast as these arrows fly the water would only be on the arrow for a milisecond the shot would definetly shock the water off. Mike