Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Sight Problems...   ?'s >

Sight Problems... ?'s

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Sight Problems... ?'s

Old 02-19-2006, 01:58 PM

Default Sight Problems... ?'s

Long post, but I'll try to describe my problems...

I bought my first bow about 3 1/2 months ago. The first sight that I had on worked great and I was grouping really well, but I didn't like the rattling noise it made, so I took it back and got a different one. The new one doesn't make any noise, but I've been having nothing but problems with it, and can't group at all. Should I try a different sight, or are these minor problems that can be fixed? Here's some of the problems I've been having:

1) Had a Trophy Ridge V-Drive sight on it, but it began rattling, so I got a Copper John "Dead Nuts" 5-pin. The C.J. isshorter than the Trophy Ridge, so my peep sight doesn't seem big enough. The guy at the bow shop put a different one on for me but it still doesn't seem right. He said "You'll just have to get used to it because it's different". I tried to explain that it just didn't feel right, but I guess he was too busy to worry with it. May be a silly question, but isit possible to have the wrong peep on? I know there are different sizes, but I don't know which one I need, and he didn't want to help, so.....? Should I be able to see ALL of the ring around my sight, or daylight around the ring, or what?

2) I've got the 5 pin sight pretty much dead on at 20 yds with the top pin, 30 with the next, and 35 with the next. (haven't worked on the next two pins). The problem is that the 20 yd is dead on, the 30 hits to the right, and the 35 hits to the left. I've adjusted the level bubble, to no consequence. Just looking at the pins, it looks like they line up, but they don't shoot that way. The pins aren't adjustable left to right, so I'm not sure what I should do.

3) While shooting my field points, I can usually group ok, but then switching immediately to broadheads, it's unbelievable how different they shoot. I can shoot a field point and hit the target, then shoot a broadhead and completely miss the target. Not just miss the spot I was aiming-- completely MISS THE TARGET!! Then I try again with the same broadhead and hit the target. My field points group within 3-4", broadheads group with 3-4 feet! I have three broadheads (all the same brand, weight, etc.). I have changed arrows that the broadheads were on, tried mixing up the broadheads, and everything else I can think of, but it's still a 50/50 chance if I'm going to even hit the target.
Are broadheads really that inaccurate? Again, the guy at the pro shop just said "You should try different broadheads." I can't afford to go buy a bunch of new stuff, and he didn't offer any other suggestions. Ideas?

I feel like I should try another sight, but I know everyone has their own opinions over which one is best. I'll decide that later- I just want to know if there is something I can do, or if I should go with a different one. Like I said, the first sight I had I was really accurate, and the second I can't hit squat with.

Also, I'm looking for another pro shop. They have 1 guy at a time working, and he's just too busy to help people get set up. When I bought my bow, I had to install the sight and stabilizer and string leeches. All he did was put on the string loop, then started helping someone else. I then had to sight it in by myself. All this stuff is pretty basic and easy, but I'm a beginner and this is my first bow. I could use some help!

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read such a long post, and any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 02-19-2006, 04:46 PM

Default RE: Sight Problems... ?'s

cam, it can be tricky when you can't allign the sight housing in your peep. makes it tough to do the same thing every time, so the following may be useless to you.

anyway, if your 20 pin is dead on with field points - back up to 30 and shoot a dot towards the top of your target using your 20 yard pin a few times.(obviously your arrows will be low of what you're aiming at - that's why i said towards the top)if your arrows are going to the left of the dot you're aiming at, then move your rest a hair right (or vice versa). then you'll have to re-sight in at 20. when that's done go back to 30 and do it again. when you're done, if you use your 20 pin at 20 yards the arrow should be dead on, and when you back up and keep using your 20 pin your arrows should fall directly below the dot you're aiming at. then you'll know you've got your arrow rest set to the correct place right and left. then go up to 20 yards and shoot a horizontal line across your target - use tape or something - if you're shots are more than 1/2"-1" above or below the line you may need to adjust your nocking pt. i would say tiller, but lets just go with the nock pt. instead.

like i said though, if you just can't get any reference with the peep and sight, this may not help as much as it should. a larger peep should help, or an extension bar for your sight - but a bigger peep would be cheaper.
Old 02-20-2006, 07:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Where in Tx are you? There are some pro shops,(one in particular), that I could recommend if you are around the metroplex.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

with the broadhead issue, that's all due to your broadheads. You need to find broadheads that fly like your field points. As for the peep issue.....it's all what you feel comfortable with. You have to be comfortable, so go to abigger peep. As far as the pins and shooting to the right and left, i'm not sure what's going on there. Hope this helps.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:43 AM

well, if he's shooting a backwards 'c' from increasing distances it means his arrow rest is off to the right, but the best way to check is by using the 20 pin only at increasing distances - aiming at the same spot.

however, to qualify that - if he's not seeing the same sight picture each time due the the housing not fitting in his peep, this could be false.
Old 02-20-2006, 12:01 PM

ORIGINAL: gibblet

well, if he's shooting a backwards 'c' from increasing distances it means his arrow rest is off to the right, but the best way to check is by using the 20 pin only at increasing distances - aiming at the same spot.

however, to qualify that - if he's not seeing the same sight picture each time due the the housing not fitting in his peep, this could be false.

Gibblet;
makes sense! thanks to everyone for your help!
Old 02-20-2006, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

You're shooting a switchback at 68#. That bow should be able to shoot one pin out to 30 yards. If it's tuned properly your broadhead flight shouldn't be dramatically different. You might be an inch or two off but you shouldn't be missing the entire target unless you've got some serious tuning issues. I'd take it to a good bow shop and have it paper tuned.

I don't understand how guys can shoot 5 pins. To me thats too many but I hunt whitetail in Michigan and only shoot 30 yards or less. One pin works for me out to 30 yds. Maybe if you're into competitive league shooting you might want 5 pins but for hunting I like 1 pin.
Old 02-20-2006, 12:47 PM

just to respond to that a bit, when practicing the best way to get good at 20 yard shots is to practice from 40, and so on - waaaaay on back there. it shows you every little thing you're doing wrong - and fine tuning details that are difficult to pick up, up close.
Old 02-20-2006, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

All these are good. If you want a fine shot at 20 yards, dial it in at 40... everything is magnified at the longer distances.
Sounds like you may have a tuneing problem too, and definetly need to find a new dealer.
If you search tuneing on this sight you will find many places and ideas to get you shooting well.