Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
How to lose a 1/4" of draw length... >

How to lose a 1/4" of draw length...

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How to lose a 1/4" of draw length...

Old 10-21-2002, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default How to lose a 1/4" of draw length...

...without changing modules. My bow is now set at 28". After having shot it for the past few months or so, it feels like 27 3/4" would probably be absolutely ideal.

I'm shooting a single cam. Do I have a tech put/takeout twists in the string, cables or both? Does doing so put me in jeapardy of losing any cam efficiency worth worrying about, assuming it's properly timed now?

Old 10-21-2002, 01:51 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-22-2002, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How to lose a 1/4" of draw length...

Theoretically, if I twist up the string and untwist the cable equally, wouldn't my cam stay in the same position? I expected the speed loss to be attributed to the lost draw length, but am hoping not to loose any additional fps due to the cam being out of time for maximum efficiency.

Old 10-22-2002, 08:00 AM
Typical Buck

Range-

Build up your grip 1/4". Don't have to touch anything else. This will shorten you drawlength. I do this on occasion for customers that don't want to mess with mod or cam changes, I just install a piece of double-stick foam ( or small block of wood, whatever) under the grip. May have to extend the screw hole on some bows, if you have a through-screw that holds you grip on. Good shooting! Pinwheel 12

Edited by - Pinwheel 12 on 10/22/2002 09:02:40
Old 10-22-2002, 08:08 AM

Range,

I'm quoting you on a previous post that you made about string and cable stretch.

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote> Like an idiot, no I didn't put marks on my cam. However, I have installed a no peep, and the bow doesn't really feel like it's drawing longer, and the no-peep is still right on the money.
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

Wouldn't it be a good idea to purchase a new set of cables and string to find out if your bow is properly timed and at the proper length first before spinning anything up or down? Have you measured your actual drawlength and computed the AMO length?

Aim Hard!
Old 10-22-2002, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Pinwheel- My Diamond Hornet has two wood side plates, bare riser against my bow hand. What now? Felt padding or moleskin type material to build it up?

FL- After I posted that, I DID stop by a new (to me) pro shop, very knowledgeable guy there, He checked my bow out, said it still measured at 28&quot;, watched me shoot, said I had grip issues. It turned out I installed the lower string leech too high on the string, it was whacking my arm, causing me to subconsciously grip the bow differently to avoid getting tagged (which didn't work, stung like hell!), accounting for my left's and rights. Moved the leech, groups instantly tightened up.

I was shooting too long a draw for awhile, when I had Diamond install the new string and cable (#8125), I had them set it to an AMO 28&quot;. It was a big change when I got it back, felt so much better, but after shooting it now, I think it could be tweaked 1/4&quot; less and be absolutely perfect.

Old 10-22-2002, 08:35 AM

Rangeball,

I have a 1999 Diamond Widowmaker that I really like for a hunting bow. From What I know about the hornet (and all Daimond bows) the grips are as you described and I don't know of any other grips that will fit it.

For that last quarter inch, I would just twist up the sting (and you can untwist the cable a little to -- but you tend to loose more poundage by doing that)until it hits that perfect comfort zone. I don't think your performance will be affect too much. The only cams that I have seen this really affect negatively are the Mathews Striaghtline cams -- if they are not right on the money things go south fast. Your Hornet is plenty fast where a few fps is of no concern.