Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 shooting the spine out of an arrow? >

shooting the spine out of an arrow?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

shooting the spine out of an arrow?

Old 02-06-2006, 11:03 PM

Default shooting the spine out of an arrow?

I have heard from time to time of people claiming to have "shot the spine out" of an arrow. I assume this refers to basically weakening the arrow somehow.

I have a set of Axis arrows I've been shooting relentlessly for a year and a half or so. And I'm starting to have real trouble getting good groups or any repeatable performance out of them.

IS there really such a thing as "shooting the spine out of an arrow?"
Old 02-07-2006, 07:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: shooting the spine out of an arrow?

Yep. I've done it. Wasted a lot of time trying to retune my bows when my accuracy problem was due to the arrows being worn out. Carbon is even worse than wood in that respect. Do a search for comments on this topic by Len in Maryland. He's posted a lot of good info on it.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:23 AM

Thanks Arthuer, I did a couple searches but prolly didn't use the right terms.

I'll look up Len's.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:01 AM

just when I think I'm getting a handle on bow hunting you guy's through something new on the table
Old 02-07-2006, 10:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

You can also do a search for the username JeffB he was the arrow guru here.

I really miss Jeff's informatitive posts.
Old 02-07-2006, 02:01 PM

So what do you guys think is the average life expectancy of a good quality carbon arrow? How many shots or how many months of use? If there is no exact answer to this wouldn't it be a good idea to get a new dozen every year?
Old 02-07-2006, 02:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Doesn't seem to be an exact answer, MilDot. Even in the same dozen, some arrows hang onto their stiffness for quite a while whileothers go bad after only a couple of dozen shots. I think it's a good idea to get at least one new dozen every year. I'd say definitely right before hunting seasonto make sure the arrows are as good as they can be,or any time you notice your accuracy and consistency isn't what it should be.Especially if tuning the bow doesn't help.

I think it's very likely that a lot of the tuning problems that are posted here couldeasily be traced down to worn out arrows.
Old 02-07-2006, 03:02 PM

I agree with Arthur (what a suprise), I don't think you can put a time limit on how long arrows will last. I can tell you what will mess them up quickly though. Heat or sunlight, carbons do not like direct sunlight or extreme heat, it will break them down from what I understand. I bet extreme cold is not that great on them either.

Lots of 3-D shooting for two reasons. One it generates heat as it stops the arrows and two is improperly removing them. If you wiggle them back forth to get them out it will eventually ruin them. Same thing with shooting them into a board or something. If you wiggle the arrow back and forth to get it out you could damage it inside. If you have seen a carbon that is warped at the tip ( has a light S shape to it) this was probably the cause. Also hitting them against other arrows, hitting something hard or glancing them off objects if you miss the target.

If you are going to shoot a lot of carbons I suggest investing in a good spin tester and use it often. The first time I shot indoor leagues someone brought one to one of the shoots. There were a lot of carbon shooters (expensive ones at that in some cases) that were pretty suprised and dissapointed when they put thier arrows on it. Then I threw my cheap easton Jazz youth arrows on there and they spun perfect. One guy was a bit PO'd at that.

Heck some carbons are bad right out of the box, do enough searching on this and you will see some posts on it. I hear about it most with Gold Tips, but they sell a lot of arrows so that makes sense. I will give them credit, they stand by their product and will replace them. I have read in some cases almost half the dozen did not meet specs right out of the box.

No matter what I shoot carbon or aluminum when I get new arrows I test them all out for groups and then how well they shoot with a fixed blade. The best three or four arrows out of the bunch I set aside as hunting arrows and don't use them again once they are tuned. The rest I use for practice or target shooting. A field tipped arrow is pretty forgiving if you use enough fletching on it.

Paul
Old 02-08-2006, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes its true , unfortunatly . My carbon express terminators were spot on when new , but after a few hundred shots , my groups opened up cosiderably , nock tuneing did not help , Tryed some accs and my groups shrunk instantly .

You are the first Ive herd say this about axis shafts , Im not suprised , but am disapointed as Im shooting some now , and hope they dont do the same .
Old 02-08-2006, 02:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sounds like it would be a whole lot cheeper to shoot aluminum, that is if you don't bend them