Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 New Bowhunter Questions >

New Bowhunter Questions

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

New Bowhunter Questions

Old 01-27-2006, 03:07 PM

Default New Bowhunter Questions

Is it possible to have too many vibration dampeners on your bow?? I would like to take out as much vibration on the riseras possible, but not overdo it. Also, do you shoot witha quiver on your bow, or do you take it off when you get to the stand?? I appreciate the help!
Old 01-27-2006, 05:42 PM

Default RE: New Bowhunter Questions

I think both questions are left to personal preference.

You will find some bows don't need riser dampeners, some do. I would look into getting some of the stick on Limbsavers if you don't find that a stabilizer can perform to your liking.

Someone may know of another product that works on dampening the riser. The only one I could think of off hand would be the Limbsaver stick ons. Another note, be careful, they may take the finish off of your bow. I have heard a few guys I know complain about that.

As far as the quiver goes, some enjoy two piece quivers, others enjoy one piece quivers. I haven't installed my two piece quiver on my bow yet and still am debating whether or not I want a quiver on my bow at all. I may look into a backpack with a quiver incorporated into it. That way I don't have to worry about a quiver on my bow.

Basically, it is up to personal preference. Some love the quiver on the bow while others prefer the quick detach so they can get rid of it anytime they would like. I haven't found what I wanted out of a quiver yet but I have determined the RiserShox my bow came with (Trykon) seems to help with dampening the vibration felt on my riser.

Good luck finding what suits your needs!
Old 01-27-2006, 07:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

I always take my quiver off... less weight, no worries about torqueing. I use a Kwikee Quiver caddy and screw it in on the tree beside me at hip height; I can shoot and reach down and get another arrow just as quickly as anyone can get one from a bow-mounted quiver.

On my old Mathews, I had some accessory Limb Savers, which once I cut off the sticky base part, had a "stem" the perfect size to push into a couple holes on the riser ... sort of home-made harmonic dampeners, if you will. I had those in there (one on the top, one on the bottom), a cable rod dampener (from Sims) and two Limb Savers on the limbs as well as string leeches.

I used to think it was about as quiet a bow as you could get (twice, I killed two turkeys out of the same flock while they milled around less than 20 yards from me in my treestand)... that is until today when I was out back shooting my new '06 Allegiance!! Six-inch Stealth stabilizer and factory hush kit -- and even with a fairly light arrow -- and this baby is whisper quiet!!
Old 01-27-2006, 07:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

... and did I mention that that's with an IBO on this bow of 331 fps!!!!

Old 01-28-2006, 07:15 AM

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it! Good luck w/ the Allegience. I've heard great things about them.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

QUIVER OFFFFF!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dampeners work, but don't over do it or you're just going to spend extra money on stuff you don't need. You have to take into account the paralell limbs of your bow....is your bow paralell limbed???? If so the less dampeners you'll need. That's about it. Good shooting....
Old 01-30-2006, 01:46 AM

BOWTECH DIE HARD:
Yes my bow is parrallel limbed. I'm shooting the Mathews Switchback. It's pretty quiet, but i can feel somevibration. I put some "Tunerz" and some stick-on "Limbsavers" on there, but I didn't know if it was possible to overdo it. I'm new to bowhunting, so I didn't know if it would hurt the bow to have too much stuff on the riser andlimbsor not. I appreciate the help!
Old 01-30-2006, 04:44 AM

i'm with greg on the quiver. i've got my mounting piece screwed into my treestand and i take it in, in a backpack. i can't stand even walking to my treestand with a quiver on the bow.