Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 ata and brace height >

ata and brace height

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

ata and brace height

Old 01-21-2006, 05:27 PM

Default ata and brace height

I've been shooting fingers for years and am lookin at buying a new bow. i'm looking at buying a reflex excursion. It has a 8 3\8 brace height with a 34 inch ata. Does the length from ata really affect forgivingness. the bow i shoot now has a brace height of 9 inches and a ata of 49" it's just too slow, and i want to probably switch to sights. I can't hit crap without sights. Should this bow be forgiving, or will it be a pain to shoot accuratly.
Old 01-21-2006, 05:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: ata and brace height

IMHO, it won't be as forgiving as what you were shooting... the shorter ATA, is less forgiving, and the brace height is less than what you were shooting, but you will probably get used to it. The speed should compromise the forgiveness in the distance department.
It will take getting used to it... 49 ATA compared to 34 is a lot of difference. The sights will certainly help you quite a bit.

Old 01-21-2006, 06:11 PM
Spike

I have an Excursion, and I cannot imagine shooting it with fingers. Good luck to you if you are going to try, but I think the shorter ATA length makes the string at full draw be at a rather extreme angle for release with one's fingers.
Old 01-21-2006, 06:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

no way you can shoot fingers with an excursion i would go to a wrist strap release

Old 01-21-2006, 11:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Leow, your draw length has alot to do with the proper ata. I have a very long draw and I tried a 43" ata, but there was to much pinch at the tap. There are quite a few options to consider. Riser design, reflex or deflex. Single or double cam and linb design. All will impact your decision for a finger shooter. A 41" to 43" would be comfortable for someone with an average draw length. I shoot a Hoyt Protec with 48 ata at 33" draw. I also shoot a Ultratec that is 43 ata and its fine for 3-D but not as comfortable for hunting or target.