Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 TROUBLE WITH NEW SIGHT >

TROUBLE WITH NEW SIGHT

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

TROUBLE WITH NEW SIGHT

Old 01-18-2006, 09:46 AM

Default TROUBLE WITH NEW SIGHT

I RECELENTY BOUGHT A TRU GLO 5 PIN SIGHT. I MOUNTED IT ON MY MATHEWS OUTBACK AND I HAVE BEEN HAVING TROUBLE WITH IT. I WANT TO HAVE THE TOP PIN ON AT 20 YARDS BUT IT SHOT TOO LOW. I STARTED OUT A 10 YARDS SOI WOULDNT LOOSE ANY AROWS TO GET IT ON PAPER AND IT WAS HITTING LOW AT 10 YARDS EVEN WITH IT ALL THE WAY ADJUSTED. THE SITE NOW IS BARLEY HANGING ON THE MAIN CONNECTER BUT I JUST CANT FIGURE IT OUT. I WANTED TO BE ABLE TO SHOOT 60 YARDS BUT I DONT THINK I WILL IF I CANT GET EVEN CLOSE AT 10 YARDS. HELP [:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][&o][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@]
Old 01-18-2006, 09:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: TROUBLE WITH NEW SIGHT

Did your nock slide up by any chance. I had that happen to me, all in a sudden my arrows were diving low.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:48 AM

If your bow is tuned decently you shouldn't be having such a rpoblem. Let's assume that your bow is tuned and that your nocking point has not moved. Then you must have a very high anchor point. This will automatically make you shoot lower.

Are you moving the sight the right way? Not being a smarty, but some guys don't know which way to move a sight.

One way to cusre the problem is to lower your anchor point. Assuming you have a kisser and peep, they will have to be moved. Most kisser buttons are attached approx. 1 1/2" to 1 3/4" above the nocking point. The peep will mount somewhere between 5" and 6" above the nocking point. These can vary some depending on the length of the bow and the drawlength, but somewhere within these parameters should be in the ball park.

You did good to start your sighting. No reason to back up and lose arrows. I would set the first pin for 20 yards, and this should only hit about an inch high at 10 yards. After you get it close you should be able to move back to 20 yards and set it better.

Let us know how you make out. Oh, and a little more info about your setup might be helpful---in detail.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Check your knock point and then check your peep ,your peep being set too high could cause this as well

nubo
Old 01-20-2006, 09:21 AM

I HAVE A MATHEWS OUTBACK WITH A 60# DRAW WEIGHT. 28.5 IN DRAW LENGTH. WISKER BUSCUT. TRU GLO 5 PIN SITE. BEMAN TREBARK ARROWS 9.0 GPI.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do you use a peepsite ?
does it seem low on the string?
are you adjusting your eye down after you draw ?
If so you may need to raise your peep site .

Your nock very well may have sliped , as rybo said
Old 01-20-2006, 03:25 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: ijimmy

Do you use a peepsite ?
does it seem low on the string?
are you adjusting your eye down after you draw ?
If so you may need to raise your peep site .

Your nock very well may have sliped , as rybo said
Good way to find out is to close your eyes, draw your bow and anchor. If you have an kisser take it off for this as you want to use only your hand. Then once you are settled, open your eye. You should be looking straight through the peep. If not adjust it. Then try to re-sight it in.

Good luck.
Old 01-20-2006, 03:52 PM
Site Bouncer

Also I'd like to add that I use a Tru-Glo sight as well and see no reason why it shouldn't work for you. They (Tru-Glo) generally have sights with good size sight rings for extended range pins. So the fact that you are having trouble getting the 10yd adjusted tells me something is not right. It was said eariler and don't take offence but make sure your adjusting it the right way. You want to follow you arrows, if your arrows are impacting high then move the pins up if the arrow is impacting low move them down. Left and right are the same thing.

I am very particular about my sights, I shoot a 20-30 and 40yd pin. I want my middle pin (30yd) to be right in the middle of my sight...perfectly centered. So I adjust the whole sight ring first to make sure my 30yd pinis in the middle. It takes some time to do it but once it's done you will have a better sight picture when hunting and all of your pins won't be bunched up either at the top or bottom of the sight ring. They should be right in the middle.