Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

bow strings

Old 01-09-2006, 10:47 AM

Default bow strings

what all do new bowstrings do? do they help with the bows shooting? any info apreciated.
Old 01-09-2006, 05:51 PM

Default RE: bow strings

Being as you got no other replies I'll try to keep things simple.

Most factory bowstrings are not very good quality. They are not prestretched or twisted enough, or served properly. In other words they work for a short period of time before they start changing. They creep (elongate), which changes the drawlength (usually longer) and the weight of the bow goes up. Depending on just how crappy they are they may creep till they need replaced. What this means in reality is that when you get the bow you eventually tune it and your arrows as a system. As the string changes the tune changes till one day your bow is shooting like a piece of crap and you are left scratching your head trying to figure what the hell is going on.

OK,, now we enter the realm of aftermarket strings. You can do a search to find the better makers out there, but let it suffice to say that you put on a good set of rigging. You shoot maybe 50 shots to settle them in. You tune your bow and sight it in. Install a peep without some stupid piece of rubber to align it. Over time the bow will not change. Your peep will not rotate. Depending on the string material chosen you could gain some speed (5-10fps is common). In other words, even if you don't shoot a lot your bow will shoot the same 6 months from now just like today.

And there are a few makers that have prices very competitive with most junk strings hanging in most shops. I only say this because I work in a shop and see what is hanging on the wall. I wouldn't use them just to hold all the parts together till my good ones arrive.

Does this shed any light on the subject?

It's one of the details most guys don't think of. Another is changing nocks on their arrows once in a while. I could go on, but I don't think it's necessary.
Old 01-09-2006, 06:16 PM

thanks bf1947. What strings do you prefer? Also what else can you do to help the bows speed?
Old 01-09-2006, 06:30 PM

I'm surprised gibblet hasn't jumped all over this post.

Ohh yeah, thats right, hehas been trying toput his serving machine in a headlock in an effort to get it to submit to his supreme strength and prowess.

Anyways!

Contact gibblet on the boards here or send him a PM with the details of your bow and such. He will point you in the right direction!
Old 01-09-2006, 07:34 PM

Brandon I prefer the 452x for string material. It is not going to get you any speed, but does not creap at all. No peep rotation and your bow will be consistent.
gibblet can hook you up right and they wont cost you a arm and a leg.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:21 AM

You should be aware that building a string for speed, will cost you in other areas. They often have fewer strands, which means weaker. They are lighter in weight, so you get slightly more vibration on the shot and your bow takes more abuse from this. In general, more vibration means slightly more noise. String material definately makes a difference, but as a hunter I would never be searching for more speed out of one.

Some of the string materials that give more speed, also stretch more easily. Stretch can turn into a permanent creeping of the string. To me, the biggest advantage for the average hunter, is a string that will not creep more than 1/16" over a year of hard use. When I build a string for myself I actually use more strands (I like quiet and strong). Also, having your bow's tune stay put for a full year or more is priceless.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:00 AM

Brandon,

I typically shoot Winner's Choice these days. They are pretty salty, but I get mine on a shooter's program so the cost is, let's just say a lot less than retail. I've shot Prostring strings with equally good results. There are companies like Vapor Trail,, Stone Mountain and others that are supposedly very good.

And not to leave out the obvious, there is always Gibblet here on this site, A fair amount of guys have tried his strings and swear by them. I haven't personally used them, but I'd have to say they are leaps and bounds above factory offerings. Give him a shout and see what he has to say. Maybe he'll have time to answer now that's he's done playing with his machine.

Old 01-10-2006, 05:20 PM

wha?
Old 01-10-2006, 05:23 PM

gibblet must be typing with one hand. The other is all tied up in the serving machine. Probabbly pink serving for nubos new string
Old 01-10-2006, 05:44 PM

hehehe, i'm just listening.

Quick Reply: bow strings

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.