HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - bow strings
Thread: bow strings
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2006, 05:51 PM
BF1947

Default RE: bow strings

Being as you got no other replies I'll try to keep things simple.

Most factory bowstrings are not very good quality. They are not prestretched or twisted enough, or served properly. In other words they work for a short period of time before they start changing. They creep (elongate), which changes the drawlength (usually longer) and the weight of the bow goes up. Depending on just how crappy they are they may creep till they need replaced. What this means in reality is that when you get the bow you eventually tune it and your arrows as a system. As the string changes the tune changes till one day your bow is shooting like a piece of crap and you are left scratching your head trying to figure what the hell is going on.

OK,, now we enter the realm of aftermarket strings. You can do a search to find the better makers out there, but let it suffice to say that you put on a good set of rigging. You shoot maybe 50 shots to settle them in. You tune your bow and sight it in. Install a peep without some stupid piece of rubber to align it. Over time the bow will not change. Your peep will not rotate. Depending on the string material chosen you could gain some speed (5-10fps is common). In other words, even if you don't shoot a lot your bow will shoot the same 6 months from now just like today.

And there are a few makers that have prices very competitive with most junk strings hanging in most shops. I only say this because I work in a shop and see what is hanging on the wall. I wouldn't use them just to hold all the parts together till my good ones arrive.

Does this shed any light on the subject?

It's one of the details most guys don't think of. Another is changing nocks on their arrows once in a while. I could go on, but I don't think it's necessary.