Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 arthur, bg, paul, and other smart folks, a ? >

arthur, bg, paul, and other smart folks, a ?

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

arthur, bg, paul, and other smart folks, a ?

Old 12-23-2005, 11:40 AM

Default arthur, bg, paul, and other smart folks, a ?

if i short string utm's pse an inch in an attempt to decrease his draw length, should i also decrease the cable about 5/16" - 3/8"(single cam, and that's about the ratio), or is that just going to gain brace height and not really anything else. if i short it a whole inch and leave the cable alone that cam is going to be waaaaaay off.

need some advice.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: arthur, bg, paul, and other smart folks, a ?

I'm not an expert on this, but are you sure you are going the right way with that (string length). Wouldn't you want to increase the string length to increase the ATA and decrease the brace height?
Old 12-23-2005, 11:49 AM

we're trying to decrease his drawlength and he's out of adjustment.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

yup, I know.

But I would think that if you increase the ATA length and decreased brace height, then the draw cycle would begin at a point closer to his grip.

If you decrease the string length, wouldn't it decrease the axle to axle, increase brace and put more strain on the limbs? The draw cycle would then start at a point that is actually further from the grip. And he would have to anchor at apoint further back from where he is now.

Old 12-23-2005, 12:45 PM

i think if the cable stays the same we'll really only be rotating the cam, thus shortening his draw, but if we short it a whole inch the cam will be way out of time. but ifi adjust the cable also, we'll end up in the predicament you say, i think, that's why i'm asking for help.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:23 PM

Man that is a tough one. My advice would be to try it and see what happens. Instead of making a short string just twist them up for now and play with lengths to see what sort of results you get.

I will admit I am not much of a bow mechanic, I try to learn as much as I can about the bow I own, but others I am not that familiar with. We do have some good bow mechanics that own or work at shops that would probably now for sure. Or you could call the manufacturer of the bow and talk to thier tech department.

I have never done it to a single, but I have to a dual cam and a hybrid cam (CPS). If you shorten the string enough I doubt you will be able to get the cam right no matter what you do to the cables, but you might. I would just experiment and see what happens. I have done it quite a bit to my darton, messing with the string and cable length. I have put a longer string on mine, and a shorter one to make it fit my girlfriend. I shortened the draw length a little more than an inch to get it to fit her. If you shorten the string I am pretty sure you will lose peak weight, I did. And most likely lose some effeciency from the cam. That was not a concern with me since all I want to do was teach her to shoot with it.

When I have messed with it for myself I let the cams go extremely out of time and the bow still shot very well. It did not effect the performance in any way that I could tell, other than speed. This was a CPS though, I don't know how it would effect a single cam. I have not messed with my Bowtech that much. The other thing to consider is that my darton has three seperate strings, one string and two cables, not one long string and a cable.

If you are working with him face to face, I say try it and see what happens. Work on getting the bow to fit him, then see how it shoots. I would not concern myself with brace height, ATA or peak weight yet. I don't think it will effect any of them enough to make a big difference. Even if the cam is out of time I would still see how it shoots and tunes. I think for now it is more important that the bow fits him and he can shoot it well. Later he can see about getting the correct cams/modules or a bow that fits him better.

If your not doing it face to face I don't know what to tell you, it's going to be pretty tricky to get it right.

Paul
Old 12-23-2005, 02:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

You're not gonna get rid of a whole inch of draw length on a single camwithout knocking the cam outta whack, at least a little. It's going to be out of time. I'd try and split the difference by twisting up the string to shorten it, and take twists out of the cable to lengthen it. I don't think that'll mess it up as bad as just shortening the string.

I never did develop ashred of fondnessfor single cams, just because they're such a PITAaboutmaking those kinds of adjustments.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:26 PM

that makes sense arthur, but if we do that, both adjustmentsare stillgoing to move the cam 1 way, and probably too much, just like you said.maybe there isn't a way around that.unless someonepulls something from their magic hat i think all we can get out is 1/4" or so,maybe 3/8" and still have it shoot ok.
Old 12-23-2005, 06:10 PM

I personally think it will shoot ok anyway. You will just lose peak weight and effeciency, meaning the bow will be slower. I bet it will still shoot well though. I would rather see him shooting a slow bow that fits him than a faster one that doesn't. Don't get too wrapped up in tuning either, there have been people win large tourniments with extremely out of tune bows. Form is far more important. A field tipped arrow with good fletching is pretty forgiving.

I wouldn't suggest it for hunting, but if he just wants something to fling arrows until he can get something better this should work. You will never Know unless you try. I wouldn't make the strings until you figure it out though. Heck, I wouldn't even put strings on it unless they were ready to fail.

You might pop into the PSE boards and ask around, they may now. Or get a hold of Grandpawrichard, does he visit here? or is it just eders and archery network? He might know about that bow, maybe. I can get in touch with him via one of the other boards if you want and have him look at this thread.

I agree though, I don't think there is anyway you are going to do it and have it be right, but I think it will work just fine.

Paul
Old 12-23-2005, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can kiss the warranty on your limbs goodbye if you shorten the string.

Quick Reply: arthur, bg, paul, and other smart folks, a ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.