Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 rest or sight problems >

rest or sight problems

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

rest or sight problems

Old 11-14-2005, 11:21 AM
Fork Horn

Default rest or sight problems

I shoot expandables and I have been hunting with them all year and havn't taken a shot over 30 yards yet.I was shooting my Block yesterday and at 10 yards I was right on. at 20 yards i was hitting about 3 inches left and at 40 yards I was hitting about 6-8 inches left. My question is since my misses are increasingly farther away from bullseye the longer my distance is does that mean that my rest may have been knocked out of wack. Also I use a simple 2 prong rest and the little rubber boots on the tips are starting to wear down. If one is wearing more then the other would that also have an effect?

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks
Old 11-14-2005, 03:33 PM
Site Bouncer

Default RE: rest or sight problems

If one of them is wearing faster than the other, plus your shots are off to the left and increasing as you get further out. Then it sounds like your rest is not adjusted correctly. You need to tune you bow. There are some pretty easy instructions on the Easton site.

Edit: Here is a link to the Easton tuning guide. http://www.eastonarchery.com/downloads/
Old 11-14-2005, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Could be the rest. If you have simple shrink tube on the prongs I doubt whether that is enough to make your POI change as much.

You'd get the same results if your sight got knocked out of position too.
Best thing to do is paper tune or bare shaft tune the bow to check it out. Adjust as necessary and resight as needed. Very simple and should probably only take a short time if you know how to tune.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

soundslike your centershot is off. I'd start by moving the 1/32-1/16 towards the right. I scratched a line on mine so I would know how much I moved it. A little goes a long way.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:22 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks Guys... Ill Try some paper tuning tomorrow. What is the deal with bare shaft tuning? how does that work?
Sorry if these questions are stupidits my first year bowhunting.

Thanks,
Old 11-15-2005, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Slo, before you go moving the rest and other things just try walk-back tuning. Basically all you do is resight your bow for 20 yards, cahnging the windage. When you got 20 then go back to 30 and 40. At the longer distances you may have to fine adjust the sight a bit. Then shoot it again at 20 to verify. If everything is down the middle you may be OK.
If not then do a search on walk-back tuning. It works very well. Paper tuning is a rudimentary start.

One of the best things you can have in your possession is a copy of Easton's Tuning Guide. You can download it from their website.