Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Need low light peep sight suggestion >

Need low light peep sight suggestion

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Need low light peep sight suggestion

Old 11-08-2005, 09:11 PM

Default Need low light peep sight suggestion

I need a peep sight that is especially designed for low light conditions. The problem I'm having is being able to accurately contrast the view in the peep against the view in the pinsight (centering both circles).I did a little web surfing and came across a peep that has a yellowish ring around the circumference of the peep hole. Would this help? Also, does anyone make a peep that has a lighted ring or maybe points you can line up similar to the crosshairs on a scope?
Old 11-09-2005, 08:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Need low light peep sight suggestion

I tired one of those peeps with a fiber optic circle and couldn't see anything through it in low light. The light from the fiber optic drowned out everything behind it. But that was only a few years ago. Someone with younger eyes might have better results.

If you really want to have a chace of hitting something in low light, learn to shoot barebow out to 25-30 yards. All you have to do is develop a secondary anchor higher up on your face, so that you're looking under the peep and front sight. Then you have something to fall back on. When you find out you can't see to shoot, simply raise your hand up to your secondary anchor and nail it.

It's only happened to me once while hunting (because I've never used sights on a hunting bow ever again) but on the 3D courses, I've been in situations where I could see the animal plain as day, but either couldn't see the sights or couldn't see the animal behind the sights. Not being able to shoot because of the sights is ridiculous.

Old 11-09-2005, 08:23 AM

I know this isn't what you're asking for, but I had to ditch a peep because I was missing out on too many shots right at last light. My pins were still bright, but I just could not see the deer enough through the peep. The no-peep solved that issue.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:10 AM
Fork Horn

I've tried about ever peep out there it seems like.I seen one in cabelas mag. that i thought i would check on its called the night hawk.I went to the website did some reading and bought one i will never shoot any other peep sight again it can pretty much be pitch black out and you can see through your peep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!www.nighthawkarchery.com

Old 11-09-2005, 08:20 PM

Thanks alot BROX! I visited the site and the nitehawk peep is exactly what I described when I first posted this... "similar to the crosshairs on a scope"

Seems like all the things I think up, someone has already invented them. Kinda like my rubber bullet idea when I was a kid.

Anyway, I'll be ordering the nitehawk #2 and #3 tomorrow.
Old 11-10-2005, 06:35 AM
Typical Buck

The peep with the outer yellow circle that you are describing is the RedHawk peep. They are excellent peep sights that I've had good luck with in low light in blinds. They are a little bulky but work great. If you don't like the yellow, they make a clear models. Take a look at all of them before you decide here: http://www.redhawk-archery.com/peep.html
Old 11-10-2005, 07:40 AM
Fork Horn

Hey noproblem at all dohcrxl.I ordered the midnight hunter i think it's the #4.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:30 PM

Just put glow in the dark paint in it.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

What you need is a pin light, turn it on just before you shoot, take aim through your peep and then open your other eye. works for me.
practice at homewhen dark.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:02 AM
Typical Buck

The peep sight issue in low light is two fold.

#1) The small diameter of the hole in the peep sight reduces the amount of light that is reaching your eye. It works just like the iris in a camera lens. If you want to reduce the exposure on the film, you reduce the size of the iris which reduces the amount of light, hence a darker picture.

#2) When it starts to get dark, most peep sights being black no longer allow the archer to see the outline of the peep sight and thus are unable to properly center the sight housing or pin in their peep.

A number of peep manufacturers in recent years have gone to some form of lighted ring or fiber optic pins to enhance your night shooting ability, however they are only helping #2 above. The lighted area around the peep allows you to center the sight eaiser, but at what expense? The cost for this lighting behind the peep is reduced performance of #1. The light from the fibers or other source on the archer side of the peep causes more light to enter the eye, and the pupil to slightly close down to account for this extra light. The problem is that the extra light is not coming off of your target (deer) and therefore only causes the contrast to go down. You may get some extra shooting time with these peeps, however the reason your last peep didn't work and this one did was #2, not #1.

Think about it in these terms. When it is dark out and someone shines a light in your face you loose sight of everything else in your field of view. The eye adjusts to the intensity of the point source (flashlight) and consequently reduces the light being gathered from all other non illuminated objects. This is why when you put your hand up to shield your eyes from the flashlight, you can start to see beyond just the light. Same concept when looking into the daylight sky with the sun in your field of view.

In the optical world a small iris like a peep sight is known as a spatial filter, and it is used to reduce light interference from sources that are not the one you are looking at, thus improving the quality of your measurement.

If you want to improve the performance of #1 above, the only option is a larger aperature (peep). A larger aperature = more light = longer shooting hours.

To be quite honest, the best thing for low light shooting is truly a NoPeep. I have had one on my hunting rig for a number of years, and it does extend your shooting light well beyond what any peep sight will.

Quick Reply: Need low light peep sight suggestion

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.