Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Darton licensing thier CPS cam system- comments? >

Darton licensing thier CPS cam system- comments?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Darton licensing thier CPS cam system- comments?

Old 01-10-2002, 11:17 AM
Fork Horn

Default Darton licensing thier CPS cam system- comments?

After seeing a blip of a rumor on some of the archery forums around the internet about Golden Eagle coming out with a bow featuring Darton's CPS cam system- I wanted to find out more.

I called Darton and first talked to a woman who had no idea what I was talking about. "I don't know what Golden Eagle is...", obviously not the person I wanted to talk to. I then called GE and found out that yes indeed, the 2002 Titan 38 will feature Darton's CPS Express Cam system. I then called back to Darton and specifically asked to talk to Frank (who is always able to answer my tech questions) and he informed me that the North American Archery group (Jennings, Bear, Golden Eagle, and Buckmaster) had licensed use of the CPS cam system.

Frank also informed me that licensing a cam system can be very good for a company. Look at Mathews- just about any cam out there that is perimeter weighted is licensed from Mathews (according to Frank).

I have not been a fan of GE in the past 5 or so years. I have not been impressed with any of the design, construction, or technical service from GE lately. I suppose that any more exposure Darton can get for their wonderful CPS cam system is a good thing- I guess I just wish it hadn't been with GE.

Comments?

Old 01-10-2002, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Darton licensing thier CPS cam system- comments?

Well, next to HCA no other company has left a bad taste in my mouth as both a consumer and a dealer as GE. I won't get into details but historically they make a decent shooting,comfy drawing, low noise, cut corners on construction bow (i.e. "cheap&quot.

Their biggest problems have been limbs, plastic rockers, andcam bushings along w/ stripped theads in the mounting holes for sight, rest and stabilizer.

However, The merger w/ NAAG seems to have bumped up the quality a bit, especially that they are now using Jennings Limbs.

I'm much more open to considering a purchase from them now than I was just a few years ago, due to the CPS license. I'd still have to be HIGHLY impressed to buy one and I'm sure I'd be unfairly critical of them if I did due to my past experiences.

But they do make a quiet, smooth drawing bow that will kill deer just as dead as my $600 Mathews.

JeffB
Old 01-10-2002, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Buckmaster G-2 with CPS cam system? That'd be a bow I'd like to see and shoot... I know Buckmaster had a lot of quality control issues, but I can't say bad things about them. I had a first generation Buckmaster (it was featured and pictured in several national deer mags, I got it from the author of the stories after we hunted together, but that's another story...), and other than being slow by today's standards, it performed very well. Never had a thing go wrong with it, and in fact my Brother is shooting it now. NAAG makes cool looking bows... Time will tell, but I think it will be a good thing. If Darton has the speed, ease of draw and fine tuneability as reported, I'd like to see it on more bows, as we all know you usually can't get everything you want (looks, feel, specs) from one manufacturer...
Old 01-10-2002, 01:08 PM

Well Jeff It makes me feel better to know I wasnt the only one to get crapped on by them. I personaly will never buy anything from them ever again.
Old 01-10-2002, 01:23 PM
Fork Horn

Range-

I wouldn't necessarily look for the speed numbers out of the GE that Darton gets with the CPS system.

Darton has spent a LOT of time testing limb configurations and preload stresses to get the most out of their bows. I don't think GE will have the time to do the same. You will get the tunability and silky smooth draw though...
Old 01-10-2002, 01:44 PM
Typical Buck

dang Guys, I was just thinkin about gettin the new splitfire 36 from G/E!
now I'm not sure i want one!