Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Why Did You Select "Your" Hunting Arrows? >

Why Did You Select "Your" Hunting Arrows?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Why Did You Select "Your" Hunting Arrows?

Old 10-07-2002, 05:21 PM

Default Why Did You Select "Your" Hunting Arrows?

Is it because you wanted<ul>[*]Accuracy[*]Durability[*]Penetration[*]Speed[/list]
After several years of hunting deer/hogs with a bow I would have to put the penetrating arrow on the top of the list. Having talked with other hunters and reading info on the forum it seems that is one of the key issues in arrow and broadhead selection.
So what puzzles me is that without question people who have tested the arrows for penetration find that the &quot;skinny&quot; small diameter heavy density carbon arrows always out penetrate, but you cannot hardly find them at the bow shops or sporting goods.
I know they are a pian to mess but they really make a difference IMO. Don't get me wrong, I think accuracy is important but these arrows shoot well enough for sure.
Just curios why everyone chooses their arrow.

Edited by - Kaos on 10/07/2002 18:22:51
Old 10-08-2002, 07:20 AM

Default RE: Why Did You Select "Your" Hunting Arrows?

Had to make changes to my rest. Found out that my arrows would not work with the changes. Decided to buy new arrows and made the decision to finally try carbons. Worked with the pro shop to determine a good shaft for me. Choose Beman ICS 400's. Seem to be getting good results so far.

-Mike

Old 10-08-2002, 09:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Kaos, you bring up some good points. The main problem I have with the skinny carbons is that it is hard to get enough offset in the fletching to get broadheads to fly right. Not to mention tuning them is a pain in the rear. So, while the may penetrate the best due to their low profile you will lose penetration due to lack of broadhead stability and tuning. The trade-off isn't worth it.

I like internal component carbons for their toughness and accuracy, but I wish they were heavier. I think with my next set up I am going to try heavier carbons such as Carbon Express Terminator Selects. I think they will be the blend of durability, accuracy, speed, and penetration that I am looking for.
Old 10-08-2002, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Accuracy, Accuracy, Accuracy....head and shoulders above the rest. You can have the fastest, or the most durable, or the heaviest arrow on the block with the best broadhead ever made...if you don't hit the spot you need to, they are not going to do you much good.

After that is a blend of good speed (but not neccessarily blinding) and penetration. However the latter point is moot with the majority of todays equipment, and a good broadhead.

I don't think it's a secret here that I prefer ACC's above all else for their excellent real world tolerances (not &quot;spec sheet&quot; tolerances). However, I'm always searching for someting as good or better in the all-carbon lineup.

Recently I purchased half a dozen IC type arrows of a brand that shall remain nameless. I've had fairly good luck with their premium shafts, as well as a Pro-shop only model that is very heavy. In looking for a somewhat faster arrow at slightly less cost than the premium versions, so I picked up their most popular shaft (run about 70 to 80 bucks a dozen). For the life of me I could not get them to group out of 2 different bows. Weights were decent, no contact, no tuning issues. Frustrated I gave up. I went to my arrow box and picked out 2 ACC 3-39 shafts, fletched them up, went outside and stacked them on top of each other at 35 yards without even papering them or tuning them to bow.

I pay about $3.50 more per arrow per ACC's than those mid-priced shafts, and about $2 more per arrow than the premium shafts. For that extra money I'm getting phenomenally better spine consistency, unequaled weight tolerances, more than adequate and more importantly CONSISTENT straightness, and ultimately extreme accuracy. In addition, for the IC carbons I would have to add about another dollar per arrow to get the same nock end durability as ACC's(by utilizing a uni-bushing and G-nock) because the IC carbons are very suceptible to nock end cracks and resultant spine loss from hard nock end impacts.

You can take a $200 bow and get it to shoot great with high grade shafts.

However, even with a $1000 bow, you can't shoot very accurately with junk shafts.

Next to the archer himself, the arrow is the most critical thing for accuracy.

As I always say, look at the big competitive shoots...you basically see 2 different types of arrows..Aluminum XX, and A/C in it's various forms...there's a reason for that.

JeffB

Old 10-08-2002, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Currently in the market for new arrows (to be an xmas gift) so doing lots of looking. However, I agree with Jeff, accuracy is most important. With a good hit I think I'll penetrate any whitetail on the planet with my current bow, regardless of the arrow or broadhead chosen, but I want the straightest most accurate arrows around. I'm currently wrestling with staying light or going mid-heavy.

Jeff, how durable are the acc's compared to the current ic carbons? One thing I like about all carbons, for me they have been very durable. I like not having to buy new arrows because they bent coming into or out of a target or deer.

Old 10-08-2002, 02:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

I relied on my proshop for this decision. I told him that I want aluminum and I wanted something to penetrate. The flatest trajectory wasn't a must. And he hooked me up from there.

My Web Page
www.geocities.com/hfpmad

Old 10-08-2002, 07:30 PM

I shoot beman ICS hunters now used to use ACC's. I just wanted to use something cheaper but that flew well & was durable. They work good for hunting so I am happy.
Old 10-08-2002, 08:45 PM

I use the skinnny carbons for hunting and I have no problem with accuracy. My hunting arrows this year are the most accurate that I have ever shot I can keep all of my arrows in a group around 4 inches at 55 yards. MY setup is CSS system 1 with a trophy taker arrow rest HHA moveable sight, Kwickee quiver, beman carbon hunter 380-16 with 4 inch arizona vanes and 100 gr muzzy 4 blade glue on broadheads. I use them for everything but the speed I dont like allot of speed for hunting and these give me 241 fps and I am very happy with them.
cebpa &lt;&gt;&lt;
Old 10-08-2002, 10:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lets see , I wanted a fairly consistant straightness factor , a smooth finish for a quiet draw , a proven tough durable carbon , and a carbon thats a little heavier than most carbons.
The Beman ICS hunter 340's just happened to fit my criteria!

&quot;Nocked,cocked & ready to rock&quot;
Old 10-08-2002, 11:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

JeffB, I can`t argue the fact that ACC`s probably shoot better than any other composite, or all carbon arrow I have ever come across. I have shot them in every size they make, for one application or another. Too bad they get bent so darn easy! I probably have 10-15 dozen of them laying around the house that just are not straight anymore. And it does`nt take much to get them that way!

I have had good success with beman ICS 400`s over the last 4 or 5 years. No problem getting a full size fixed blade to fly like field points at over 280fps.

NRA,UBP,BASS Member
New Stanton,PA

Quick Reply: Why Did You Select "Your" Hunting Arrows?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.