Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Need help with fletching contact >

Need help with fletching contact

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Need help with fletching contact

Old 10-30-2005, 04:53 PM

Default Need help with fletching contact

I've been bow hunting for several years, but don't know much about tuning. Here's my problem, when I shoot field tips all is good, but put broadheads (Thunderhead 125's) on and everything goes to hell in a hand basket. Centershot seams to be good, noc point looks good,and have good fletching clearance, but when I shot my fletchings hit the inside blade of my bodoodle. I tried to bare shaft tune but at 20 yds. my arrow stuck in the ground 3 yds. in front of my target. I'm out of arrows and the bow shop doesn't open till tuesday, and hedidn't seem to know what he was doing when I took my bow to him. Oh yeah I shoot a Hoyt vortec, with 2413 Easton X7's which I just found out were actually target arrows but don't look to be much different than XX78's. Any info would be much appreciated.
Old 10-30-2005, 05:16 PM

Default RE: Need help with fletching contact

Define "Hell in a handbasket". Whats your total arrow weight,arrow length, and draw weight?
Old 10-30-2005, 05:32 PM

430 grains, 29" and 64 #'s
Old 10-30-2005, 05:53 PM

I'd try tuning your arrows individually. Spin them and ensure BH tip stays put. Turn them until they fly strait. Line up fletching with blades. Paper tune and watch your form. Check nock placement on each arrow with vane. Also...what "Hell in a handbasket?"
Old 10-30-2005, 06:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

You said that you were getting fletching contact with the inside fin of the bodoodle. Twist your nocks to that you get total fletching clearance with your rest.

First things first. You will never get anything (field tips or broadheads) to consistantly fly good if your vanes are making contact with your rest.

After you are confident that you have achieved 100% fletching clearance then shoot through paper and amke small adjustments untio you shoot a perfect hole at increasing distances.

After that you can do the bare shaft tuning to get everything perfect.

Old 10-30-2005, 08:12 PM

That's my problem, when my arrow is at rest I do have fletching clearance but when I shoot, my down vane is hitting my inside blade as it passes through even if I rotate my arrow as far as I can and keep clearance.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

Aren't the fins on the Bodoodle adjustable? Spread the fins out a little bit and see if that helps you get clearance.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I tried to bare shaft tune but at 20 yds. my arrow stuck in the ground 3 yds. in front of my target.
This leads me to believe that your nock point is high.

You may want to consider 4 or 5" feathers with less of a helical.