Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 New to Bow and got a few questions >

New to Bow and got a few questions

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

New to Bow and got a few questions

Old 10-26-2005, 09:23 AM

Default New to Bow and got a few questions

I just recently purchased my first bow. I have never even shot a bow before, so take it easy on me. If I buy arrows with the cheap 10$ a dozen tips and use those to sight it in how different will my point of impact be when i put a few broadheads on for hunting? Can I shoot broadheads at my target or is that not good for them. I am open to ANY advice on bow hunting. I bought a pair of bows for $50 and it cost me nearly $100 to get them set up (one is for the wife, she expressed an interest in target bow shooting so its really light) The one I am going to use "looks" like an expensive setup to the untrained eye. Also, what about arrow length, walmart is selling arrows on closeout for under $3 a piece, will I have to have them cut or can I shoot them long? PLEASE HELP ME, I found a hot spot for deer but it is in a bow only area, and Im dying to nab a deer with my new bow.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: New to Bow and got a few questions

First off I would say forget hunting this season and concentrate practice.

If I buy arrows with the cheap 10$ a dozen tips and use those to sight it in how different will my point of impact be when i put a few broadheads on for hunting?
That will depend on what braodheads your going to use and the tune of the bow, it is not that hard to tune your bow so the field points and braodhead have the same impact point.

Go to http://www.eastonarchery.com/downloads/and download thier tuning guide.

Can I shoot broadheads at my target or is that not good for them
Once again this depends on what sort of a target you have if it is a bag style target then the broadheads are going to tear it up in no time.

Also, what about arrow length, walmart is selling arrows on closeout for under $3 a piece, will I have to have them cut or can I shoot them long?
I would take the bow to a Pro Shop and get some inexpensive arrows from there as they will cut them to the correct lenght for you.

PLEASE HELP ME, I found a hot spot for deer but it is in a bow only area, and Im dying to nab a deer with my new bow.
Like I said earlier forget hunting with the bow this year and practice practice practice cause the last thing you want to do is wound a deer.
Over the summer months join a 3d club it is a lot of fun and will improve your shooting plus you will meet a great group of people who will help you in a lot of ways.

I am sorry if all this is not what you wanted to hear.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:44 AM

I'm going to have to agree with ausie-guy I got my bow last year and i would not be comfortable shooting at an animal unless I spent the whole past summer shooting targets.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:23 AM

Well that just sucks. But you both make a valid point. And maybe I will see it when I start taking my first shots at the target. And holy crap is that a lot of information in that tuning guide. I had no idea how much is involved. It sure is hell aint like buying the right ammo. Thanks for the website. I guess I'll get cracking at the hay bails.