Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

arrow question

Old 10-24-2005, 08:18 PM

Default arrow question

Ok I shoot an 80 pound draw Bowtech Extreme. Got it in the higher poundage for the kinetic energy and speed. When i bought it, the dealer guy told me i needed thicker spined arrows because of the power of my bow. So I use these thick carbons that shoot 25fps slower than the regular carbons i shot out of my mathews legacy. curious to see how the smaller spined arrows shot, i shot them out of my new bow. grouped just as well as the thicker ones at 40 yards. i would rather use the thinner arrows cause they shoot 303 fps while the thicker ones shoot 279, 9 fps slower than when the bow was brand new. im all about speed. my question is, does the thickness of the arrow shaft really make that much of a difference with my draw weight?

thanks,
jeff
Old 10-24-2005, 11:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: arrow question

If the smaller shafts are within the specs for your bow, then shoot the smaller. The simplist way to tell is shoot both from your bow, if you don't have to make any adjustments, except for front sight up or down, then you are okay.

[:@]Nothing makes me madder than a pro shop telling you what you have to do without proving it first. MONEY & GREED
Old 10-25-2005, 06:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nothing makes me madder than a pro shop telling you what you have to do without proving it first. MONEY & GREED
Usually, I'm the same way. Not in this case though.

I think the guy at the pro shop was probably thinking itis reasonable toget the grains per pound arrow weight up to a healthylevel for an 80 pound, high performancebow - 400 grains minimum. There is absolutely nothing wrong or greedy about trying to help a guy keep his arrow weight in accordance with the bow manufacturer's warranty, and keep the bow shooting better, longer.

Now, having said that, jhalfhill, if your light arrows weigh over 400 grains, then have at it. If they are lighter than 400 grains, then you do so at your own risk.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:17 AM

he was right about spine, but they're making some pretty stiff arrows that are still rather thin.