Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 determining draw length >

determining draw length

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

determining draw length

Old 10-16-2005, 08:11 AM

Default determining draw length

Hi. I have heard many different opinions on figuring out proper draw length. What is the correct way to determine this?
Old 10-16-2005, 08:37 AM

Default RE: determining draw length

I had to get my module changed on my Tomkat after the dealer that sold me the bow didn't mess with it. The shop had me use one of the recurves with a perminatly mounted arrow that has an inch scale on it. Seems like that would be the most accurate way to measure it.

Old 10-16-2005, 08:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

The most accurate way to determine draw length is to go to a shop where they know their stuff and get measured. The wingspan test will usually be pretty close, but actually getting measured is the only real way to go.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Check this link out.
http://www.huntersfriend.com/draw-length-weight.htm
Old 10-19-2005, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Arthur, I would tend to agree with you except that how does a newbie, who knows pretty much nothing, know when he has walked into a shop and gotten measured correctly? There are a lot of people walking around with bows that draw 2-3" too long for them that have come out of pro-shops. I think this is why I stress the wingspan method so much. At least a person can do this to determine something pretty close, then go to a shop and see how good they are.

Another thing that a lot of shops don't do is actually measure the drawlength of the bow. Suppose a guy measures by the wingspan method and it calls for a 29" draw. He goes to a shop and grabs a bow marked 29" and draws it to some sort of anchor. The bow may actually draw closer to 30" and nobody pays too much attention to this ( the shop person, and the buyer may not know) and adjusts the person's anchor. They just let him draw the bow. Then he leaves the shop happy as a lark with a bow that is already too long. Then the rigging creeps over time till it's settled in and now he's drawing 2" too long. Who can the guy trust?
Old 10-19-2005, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I personally prefer to have the nock in line with my eye. That way,my nose just BARELY touches the string. Some people have told me its too long (which I would probably agree with if I was looking at someone else), others have told me its too short. Some tell me that I have the goofyest anchor point in Texas, but I found that by tweaking my draw in small increments, this was where I was most accurate.

Excuse the angle of the pic. My camera was point up and left to me. My archery room is so cluttered right now, since I've started string building, its not funny.

Old 10-20-2005, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Josh,

It doesn't look too bad to me. And tweaking little by little to find where you are most accurate is how you find your "optimum" drawlength. I hate the term correst drawlength as this can vary from archer to archer.This is why experimentation is necessary for those who really care about accuracy.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:53 AM

Hopefully this link will help you out.

http://www.huntersfriend.com/arrowhelp/arrow-selection.htm