Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 String Making question >

String Making question

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

String Making question

Old 10-19-2005, 01:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default String Making question

Question for the string makers. After I wind my string material around my jig, I have been told that I need to tie the two loose ends together. Is there a special knot for this? I would also assume that for making the split cable I would simply make 2 sets of strings with loops on both ends, then serve the loops together on one side? I think I'm getting this down, but the majority of the sights on the web are dealing with traditional strings. If I'm not being clear, please ask questions also. Thanks guys.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:34 AM

Default RE: String Making question

I've never tied them together. On my jig I have a couple wing nuts hold washers that I wedge the loose ends in. If you tie a knot, it won't matter what kind, since you'll have to cut it, in order to finish weaving the loose ends when you form the end loop.

When making a split cable, you do not make two separate strings. make one string. Serve one end loop with all the strands, then just divide the string into 2 sets of equal strands and serve each smaller group separately.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:21 AM

i tie a square knot at the end and then use the ends to serve where the loops will be. with 452x, after tieing the knot i wrap 10 turns to the left going under first and then back whip with 12 wraps. then i go to the right with the other end going over first and do the same thing (using the string material ends left over after the knot). then when i make the actual loop i use serving material to close it and start serving. on a split cable i do it in 2 seperate pieces. on each piece i serve the yoke loop with string material with 20 wraps in each direction, then close the loop by serving over the wraps, then going back down the string and finishing with a 15 wrap back whip (using the string material ends left over after the knot). then i put them on the jig together and do the single loop end solely with serving material.

i learned this from taking bowtech, vapor trail, and WC strings apart and reverse engineering them. any questions you can call at 828 627 2594 est.

recently a customer sent an old glory to crackers for tuning because he just couldn't get it. first thing mike did was call barry and tell him how nice the strings were. he asked if they were his strings, or vapor trail. barry told him they were mine. mike told him we make strings exactly the same way and there aren't many people who know how to do them like that. pretty good compliment if you ask me. sorry, just had to brag a little. it meant a lot that crackers gave me a big compliment.

i've got some boo-boos here if you'd like i can mail them to you and you can take them apart. sounds like you're at the point where it will help to take a couple apart. sounds like you're starting to ask the right questions.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Any boohoo's you could send so I could undo would be greatly appreciated. I've made one set of strings so far, and they are currently on a PSE a neighbor asked if I could set up.

I had been making small scaled versions with sewing thread. I actually got the breaking strength around 30 pounds with 8 turns of thread (16 strands).

I figured that you could make 2 and 3 color strings by simply dividing the needed amount of strands in half or thirds, and making3 sets of strings, then serving the loops together on both sides, then twisting the string. Apparently not?

I can see that this method would take a while. Would it also work to just go ahead and divide the material in half, then wrap one color on the jig, then the other, and proceed like a single color?
Old 10-19-2005, 12:54 PM

for a 2 color i put 10-11 strands of the first color on, then 10-11 strands of the next color on. for a 3 color i do 6-8-6 or 8-6-8, depending on how many pounds the person is shooting. all go on at the same time with each strand wrapping the post directly above the last one, very neatly. i'd work on 2 color if i were you and get that right. it will probably take quite a few to make a professional looking one, and to get your starting length right. i think if you get the bcy dvd for string making that will get you a good start. it's like $12. after a bit then you'll know better what you want to improve on from what the dvd shows. i think i still have your addy and will send you a package of a finished hoyt string, a yoke piece for a floating yoke, and a string that has the ends served with string material, but nothing else done, it should help.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats very much!
Old 10-20-2005, 04:30 AM

Sounds like gibblet gave you lots of good advise. I'd also recommend getting a video. It really helps the learning process. I learned from Larry Wise's video. His technique has worked wonderfully for me. I typically get no more than 1/16" creep on a 100" string after many thousands of shots. The two most important aspects of string building are to make strings that don't creep and ones where the servings don't separate. If you can do that, then nothing else matters.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:56 AM

he's right, and good tools will help a lot.