Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Help me shoot better >

Help me shoot better

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Help me shoot better

Old 10-13-2005, 08:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default Help me shoot better

Im new here, in fact this is my first post. I am pretty new to shooting a bow. I've shoot a few in the past. I've got a Golden Eagle, 70lb max, 30 inch draw. I would like a better bow, but this one shoots pretty good for me and I am comfortable taking a shot on a deer out to 30-35yards.

I am shooting the cheaper ($3-$4) Carbon Wolverine Hunters with 100 gr. muzzy broadheads/points. I got my poundage lowered down to around 60 or so. The arrows are rated 50-60 lbs.

Do you think it would group any better shooting aluminum arrows and pulling the full 70 lbs? Would I need 125 gr. broadheads or keep the 100 gr.? Or I could pick up a few of the higher ($5-$6) carbon arrows and try them with 65-70 lb. draw weight?

Also, the arrows are 29 inch length, however they are pretty dang short and the broadhead just barely clears the end of the rest. Should I go to 30" or 31" or will it shoot the same?

I have two sets of silencers on the string, is that too much? 1 set of silicone and 1 set of cloth-type.

Basically, any advise to help me shoot better will be appreciated. I hope to make it to a bow shop soon to do some shooting and maybe learn some stuff.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Help me shoot better

the string silencers shouldn't be a problem. I'm not sure what spine your arrows are, but with that long of a draw you may need to get a little stiffer spine. Spine problems can cause many problems as far as accuracy is concerned. Let us know some more about the arrows (spine mainly). We can then help you figure what weight BH and draw weight you should shoot.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:32 PM
Fork Horn

I cant find out much on the arrows. They dont much info on them and I looked online for some info but couldn't find any. I may pick up 2 or 3 terminator carbon's tomorrow and try them this weekend. How do I tell spine?
Old 10-14-2005, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Spine is often marked right on the arrows you get. Especially Terminators. IE 4560 or 6075. These numbers designate the suggested weight range to shoot them in---60# to 75# usually at 29". If you vary much from the length then you can interpolate a bit in your choice of arrows. In your case I would shoot the 6075 Terminators whether you shoot them at 60 or 70#. With carbons, stiffer is always more forgiving.

Now you get into higher quality arrows they are not always marked like this. For your setup, were you shooting Carbon Express CX you would want a 300. Easton should be about the same---300. Blackhawk Vapor would be a 5000. Gold Tip would call for a 5575 arrow. There are usually charts on the boxes they come in to help with choice.

Hillbilly, just for info how big a guy are you? It's not written in stone and varies, but a 30 inch draw is about what a guy with a 75" wingspan uses--if his drawlength is close to correct. When shopping for a new bow I'd suggest you visit a local proshop and get measured for correct drawlength. One of the best waya to get a start is to measure your wingspan and divide this by 2.5. Most guys draw about 2" longer than they should if they are interested in accuracy.
Being as you have a 70# bow and are shooting it at 60# suggests to me that you are comfortable with 60#. This is all that is necessary for anything walking this continent. So for your next bow I would look at 60# max. It'll be easier to draw and shoot which can let you shoot more often, longer sessions so that you can work on perfecting shooting form without struggling with the bow. You should NEVER have to struggle with a bow--especailly that firstand maybe only shot at a critter.

I got no idea about the arrows you are presently shooting. Never heard of them. They are probably some cheaper arrow made for one of the Walmart/KMart stores. I know everybody has to start somewhere but as time goes on I would definitely upgrade to better well known arrows at the very least. Then you'll know what you got.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:31 PM
Fork Horn

I'm 6'4" 215 lbs., so I am comfortablw with a 30 inch draw, but not a 29. Its to short. I only have it turned down to a 60 lb. draw becuase my arrows are only rated to 50-60 lbs. I will probably go ahead and shoot 65 or 70 lbs. I had a guy that owns an archery shop to look at it. He's gonna fix me up with a different style rest and a 1/2 dozen carbon arrows and help me out on my shooting. He says I will definately be shooting better when I get my bow lined out.

Any other suggestions are appreciated.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

hillbilly,

I guess I'll have to agree that your specs are about right. Drawlength that is--at least for now. As you become more expereienced you may want to tweak that draw to the last 1/8".

Maybe you need to get a job, even part time, in the shop. Pay attention and learn a lot. It's one of the best ways to learn about archery. In any event it sounds like you are on the right track.

Good luck and learn to shoot well.
Old 10-15-2005, 09:32 PM
Fork Horn

I just started a new job and this guy works with me. He seems to really know his stuff. We ordered some stuff and should be shooting better before muzzeloading goes out, just when I need it. Thanks for all the help.