Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 SIght screwed up? >

SIght screwed up?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

SIght screwed up?

Old 10-11-2005, 07:44 PM

Default SIght screwed up?

I've got a Bowtech Partriot. Its 2 years old and i absolutley love it, by only problem is that the sight is adjusted all the way up. I mean the the little screw adjustment that slides the sight up and down is all the way up. and it has four screw hole on the mounting face by the fiber optics that i had to move all the way up. and the sight has four pins and my third is only good at twenty yards. The bow was origanally shotting way high. It shots great now, I had it paper tuned and everything. I was just wondering if this was normal or what would cause it. I would like to get more yardage out of my sight. But cant with this setup. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 10-11-2005, 07:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: SIght screwed up?

I suspect that you have a very low anchor point and your peep sight is very high up on the string. The lower your anchor point the higher the peep will need to be for you to see through it and the higher the sight will need to be moved.

Where is you fist when at full draw. Is it well under your jaw? Do you use the thumb behind the neck method of anchoring?
Old 10-11-2005, 08:04 PM

when i bought the bow it only had the anchor on it and the sight. I went to a sproting good store and had the peep put on. And they had me go to full draw and anchor then they set the peep accordingly. But if my anchor was off wouldn't it through my paper tune off. I now that they did mess with that when we paper tuned it. Now that you mention my anchor my fist is right below my ear and slightly back. and i might tilt my head just a little on habit. the bow shoots awesome. just want some more manuverability. thanks again
Old 10-11-2005, 10:10 PM
Site Bouncer

Try this, Close your eyes and draw your bow, come toa comfortable and level anchor(near your jaw line)then open your eyes. you should be looking through your peep. If not then you need to move your peep because youare compensating for your peep by tilting you head. My guess is that your peep is too high (as others have suggested)

Give it a try, you have nothing to lose and only sight elevation to gain!

Edit: Take the kisser button off, you don't need that AND a peep. They both do the same thing. Also When you do the above (closed eye draw) you do not want a kisser button on the string. What you are doing is comming to a natural anchor point and the kisser will only screw you up because you will feel it and want to put it in the corner of your mouth. If you are hell bent on a kisser, install it AFTER you have found your peep location.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds like we've got a problem with terminology...

The marker on your string is the nock point. That locates your arrow's nock so that it will launch correctly

Anchor is the spot you draw to on your face. You draw to that same exact spot each time so your aim will be consistent.

As said above, it sounds like your anchor is pretty low, and leaning your head only makes it worse. That is why your sight bracket has to be adjusted so high. If you'll change your anchor so that you bury the big knuckle at the base of your index finger behind the jawbone, rightat your ear lobe, then you should be able to bring your peep sight up and drop your sight bracket down. And keep that head upright!

If your anchor is such that you're anchoring behind your ear, then your bow's draw length is much too long and needs to be adjusted to fit you better.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

By the sound of it I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that another reason your peep may be too high is that your bow's drawlength is several inches too long. You said you anchor below the ear and slightly back, which means you are probably way over extended.

Another rule of thumb is that when you come to anchor with an arrow on the stringthe arrow's nock should be back no farther than the corner of your mouth.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:56 PM

alright here is the latest. i dont have a kisser just a peep, my terminology is way off. anyways i drew it back with my eyes closed and got to anchor and opened my eyes it was right on looking through my peep at my sights. Now concerning my draw lenght, when I got the bow it felt good to me so i left it. the way it is set up the vanes are at my mouth, i actually used this as a anchoring point, so set my mouth on a vane. With that said I'm guessing that my draw lenght is to long. would this really change my sight. and if i shortened my draw lenght would it throw my nock point and peeps sight off to. thanks

Old 10-12-2005, 08:21 PM

I AM NOT MAKING THE CONNECTION HERE WITH THE LOW NOCKING POINT & A HIGH PEEP. UNLESS YOU ANCHOR WELL BELOW YOURJAW??? I ASSUME EVERY ONE ANCHORSCLOSE TO THEIR FACE / JAW LINE. ANY WAY CHECK THIS OUT:
CHECK THE HEIGHT FROM WHERE YOUR ARROW RESTS ON THE REST, HOW HIGH IS IT ABOVE THEBOTTOM OF THE RISER ON YOUR BOW? ON MY BOW I HAPPENED TO NOTICE THAT MY SIGHT WAS SET VERY HIGH ON THE MOUNT AFTER IT WAS SIGHTED IN. I DID'NT LIKE IT THIS WAY, SO UPON CHECKING OUT MY REST HEIGHT WHICH WAS SET IN THE MIDDLE OR ZERO OF THE VERTICLE ADJUSTMENT, WHICH I ASSUME IS WHAT MOST SHOPS USE FOR THE INITIAL SETUP AND THEN THEY SET YOUR NOCKING POINT TO THAT (1/4" MORE OR LESS ABOVE THE REST). MY ARROW WAS ABOUT 1 1/2" ABOVE THE BOTTOM OF THE RISER WHEN IN THE REST. SO I LOWERED MY REST ABOUT 3/4" OF AN INCH , RESET MY NOCKING POINT (LOWERED 3/4") AND THIS IN TURN REQUIRED MY SIGHT TO BE LOWERED. BOTTOM LINE YOU HAVE TO BRING YOUR PEEP SIGHT DOWN IN ORDER TO MOVE YOUR SIGHT DOWN. YOUR PEEP SIGHT IS THE SAME AS A REAR SIGHT ON ANY WEAPON IF YOU LOWER IT THIS CAUSES YOUR POINT OF IMPACT TO DROP AND WITH A BOWTHAT MEANS CHASING THE ARROW WITH THE SIGHT ANDHENCE IT HAS TO BE LOWERED TO RAISE WHERE YOUR ARROW HITS.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:41 PM

allright, i am shooting a quick tune fall away rest by NAP, at full draw my arrow is just over one inch off the riser, i dont know if this is normal or not. i brought the bow in this fall to get tuned and all setup, i would think they would catch something like this wouldnt you. time to go somewhere else i'm thinking
Old 10-14-2005, 07:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

When the rest is in it's full upright position, the arrow should be dead level with thebolthole where you mount your rest. That is the normal position.

If those guys at the shop haven't watched you shoot, there isn't muchway they could tell if anything is wrong with either your setup or your shooting form. Unless you were there, doing the shooting while they made the adjustments to tune your bow,your bow isnot tuned.

You brought your bow in this fall to get it tuned and set up - about the same time everybody and their dog did the same thing. Go back now that crunch time has passed and see if they can spend a little time with you. If you can't get them to take the time to help you get your draw length and stuff taken care of, then it'stime to go elsewhere.

Quick Reply: SIght screwed up?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.