Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Need a new scope????? >

Need a new scope?????

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Need a new scope?????

Old 10-06-2005, 01:33 AM

Default Need a new scope?????

I have an issue that I hope someone can help me with.I just purchased a new bow last week - McPherson Bishop. I'm in Iraq right now so I'm getting all of the accessories one at a time, because I don't need them until I get home. Unless we get to shoot terrorists with them---HAHA....My issue is with the sight system. I plan on moving up in class for both 3D and field shoots. I'm buying a Sure-Loc, the question is about a scope. I've looked everywhere to find product reviews on scopes and I can't find very many. I just want some input from fellow archers before I make the big purchase. There isn't a place locally (back home)where I live to look at much in the way of scopes. Thank you in advance for all of your help.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Need a new scope?????

Not sure if you are looking for a 3-D scope or what? Heres a BSA Scope for your bow, its a red dotscope. I knwo a few people who use these for hunting but not sure what they use for 3-D shoots.
Id like to thank you for all you are doing over there. Keep safe and come home soon. Let me know when you come home and get that buck.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000YAEVQ.01-A1V1Z4BJNVFJUK._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg&imgrefurl=http ://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html%3F_encoding%3DUTF8%26node%3D10698551%2 6no%3D3489471%26me%3DA19XE0CFLN81HP&h=130& w=160&sz=6&tbnid=IvdLlLyhFSkJ:&tbnh=74 &tbnw=92&hl=en&start=31&prev=/images%3Fq%3DBow%2BScopes%26start%3D20%26svnum%3D1 0%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DN
Old 10-06-2005, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wis,

I'm sure that's not the kind of scope he was referring to. In fact, a Red Dot is not a scope at all.

Infantry,
There are quite a few scopes that can be used for 3D. Most of the better ones use Feathervision lenses. I have limited experience the last few years on which brands are the very best, but I've used the Bullseye Millenium Grande and CR Apex. Both are very good quality and come in several different diopter lenses.

I might suggest that you jump on over to www.archerytalk.com. You should be able to get a bunch of info there as there are a lot of target and 3D shooters on it.
Old 10-07-2005, 03:18 AM

Wis,
Thank you for the information above. i was thinking of a different type of scope, but thank you for taking the time to post the information you sent. As for getting a buck, I'll miss all of deer season this year, but we can hunt hogs pretty much year round at Ft Benning GA. Thanks again!!!

[hr]

BG,
I've been looking at the CR and Viper scopes. unfortunately whoever manages our net access in Iraq has blocked the archerytalk . com. So I'm unable to post there to get some information. Would it be possible for you to post there and explain my situation with a link to this page? If you know of anyone who may want to put their 10 cents in please point them my way. Thanks for the information and good hunting to you both.......
Old 10-07-2005, 05:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

After trying and shooting 3 other brand Scopes I found one I really like.
I purchased a Classic Scope and have been very pleased with it.
They offer a choice of Scope Houseing Size. They alsooffer the option of using many different pin locations in the housing since it is drilled out to allow you toplace the pin in he up position or the , down pin, side pins etc.You will also have to decide on what size fibers you will be using they offer all the standard sizes and even the small .010 size fibers.Classic Scopes produces some of the brightest Fibers I have ever used and you will need to decide on the color of fibers to purchase with your scope I personally prefer the Green, Red and Clear that can be used with a colored sight Light.You will need to decide on the type of Zeiss lense you will be using in your scope the Convex or the Plano and what power lense. I also prefer to have the lenses treated for Anti Glare and Scratch Resistance. I like the fiber housing wrap that will hold the fiber wrapped in a protective plastic tube that wrapps around the sight housing and exposes the fiber to the max amount of light, if the fiber is gathering to much light to the point that the fiber starburst's you can slide a piece of peep tubing or shrink tube ( but dont shrink it ) and slide it on the fiber plastic tube to reduce the amount of light that the fiber is exposed to. When you install the fibers in the pin make sure that you dont mushroom out the head of the fiber to much or you will make the fiber head bigger than it needs to be. I also recommend the sunshade with the classic scope, its really not a shade like most people think of it dosent mount on top of the scope.... it is a tube that will screw into the sight housing and works very effectivly.
If you have optimal eyesight you propably wont need a Clarifier peep but you may need to look through various power lenses to find what power lense will work the best for you and your needs. I personnaly use a 4 power lense for 3D and my husband uses the 4 power classic scope lense for the ASA 3D Senior Open Division. You may want to wait until you return home and take a look through various power lenses to find what works best for you, that is if you dont have this opportunity in Iraq... since they arent cheap, and can make a world of difference when shooting 3D and Indoors.You also may want to look at sight lights... they can come in real handy when shooting 3D in low light conditions or dark tunnel shots on the 3D courseor Indoors in lower light conditions. The sight lights arent very expensive and come in multiple colors... you can even pick them up at the Army Surplus shop I cant remember the name , I think it was named Ranger Joe's in Columbus Georgia. You can look at the Classic Scope Sight on the Web or just call Steve at Classic Scopes if you have any questions and I know he will be glad to help.The Classic Scope works well with my SureLoc Supreme and SureLoc Challenger Sliders.
I was just down at Columbus and Phonix City at Fort Benning in August for a week to Compete in the Archery Shooters Associations World Classic Championship near Uchee Creek Campground, Beautiful area. I didnt see any hogs but I did see a couple of nice bucks near the Uchee Creek Campground entrance. Wish you could of been there we even had a 3D Shoot that included ASA Archers and Fort Benning Archers.
The Humidity was horrible when we were there and Scope Lenses, Binocularsand Eyeglasses were fogging up badly... until I found this anti fog product its made by Nikon and sold by Lancaster Archery Supply... it's dry reusable cloths treated with a dry powder that you wipe on and it worked Fabulously. I also recommend checking with other scope shooters for their recommendations at ArcheryTalk.com they have thousands of archers on that site and tons of scope shooters and try ASA Archery Website also lots of scope shooters there that can help you.
I hope some of this will help you and be safe!