Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Shooting woes

Old 10-01-2005, 08:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default Shooting woes

My problem is getting some consistency. I am able to keep my shots mostly in a6 inch circle at 20 yards, but the need to do better is keeping mefrom the field. I am mostly having a problem with the horizontal grouping. Squeezing my shoulder blades together seems to help some, but I am doing something with my bow arm that I cannot nail down. Today I think I have figured out that I need to focus on my follow through. By this, I mean focusing on keeping my bow arm in the same position after the release. Does this sound right?
Any other tips? I am pretty sure the bow is tuned well, and I have a consistent anchor point. Sometimes I get a 3 inch group, but not consistently.
Old 10-02-2005, 08:10 AM

Default RE: Shooting woes

Are you sure your not canting the bow??
Old 10-02-2005, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here's a thought. What is your wingspan and what is the bow's drawlength set for? Often times left/right grouping is a result of too long of a drawlength. Do you ever hit your arm or need and arm-guard? Another sign of too long a draw. In any case you are correct to dwell on follow-through. It's crucial.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:39 PM
Fork Horn

I am probably canting, just never focused enough on follow-thru before. Also, too long draw length is possible. I dont generally hit my arm, but it has happened if I really extend my bow arm. I use a True Ball release, and it seems to help if I take up any slack in the release cord so that its length is minimum. I think the drawlength is ok, but will definitely check the measurements.
Now that I am focusing more on follow-through, I think I am seeing an improvement.. so will continue.
Thanks guys!
Old 10-04-2005, 12:03 AM

Make up a "practice string" that you can use indoors to practice your shot sequence with your release. Pull against the practice string to load your release to feel like the holding weight on your bow and anchor, sight at something on a wall and squeeze the "shot" off slowly. Strive for a suprize release of your practice string while "aiming". Disconnect your need to see where the arrow hit by using a practice string indoors at your leisure. If you execute a shot with your actual bow like you can practice with a practice string, there will be no need to see where your arrows hit. Train yourself to forget about accuracy and concentrate on making the perfect shot execution. Accuracy will come when you execute every shot the correct way
Old 10-04-2005, 07:06 AM
Spike

I found a webpage that has several short videos on shooting form by Randy Ulmer.
They are in both Quicktime and WMV formats, and I found them to be of great help to me, and I think they can address your problems.
http://www.bowhunter.com/bowhunterma...Odescriptions/
Hope this helps, Good Shooting
Old 10-04-2005, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

It sounds to me like you're gripping the bow too much. Make sure your bow hand is completely open that way you don't grip the bow. The other thing you need to do is follow through your shot. Don't let your pin go off the target until you hear or see your arrow impact the target. hopefully it helps!
Old 10-04-2005, 07:18 PM
Fork Horn

WOW!! After watching those videos, I saw an IMMEDIATE improvement. I think I needed improvement in every area.

Now, I just need to apply the tips y'all have posted, and retrain some muscles...

Thanks!
Old 10-05-2005, 06:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Skt,

Form is everything in archery. Those vids will help a lot, but do it right. Start at the very beginning of your shot sequence, beginning with foot position, hand placement, etc. Work on one part of your form at a time, perfecting it so you don't have to think about it. Then move on to the next thing.

And DO NOT shoot an open grip. That tightens muscles that should be relaxed and often leads to grabbing the bow. Shoot a very relaxed grip.

Notice Randy Ulmer's anchor in the first pic. Doesn't look to me like he's dragging any kisser button back to the corner of the mouth like most novices. DUH!!!!!!!! Get the drawlength right.