Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Can you Bowhunt with a bad back? >

Can you Bowhunt with a bad back?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Can you Bowhunt with a bad back?

Old 09-15-2005, 05:22 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Can you Bowhunt with a bad back?

yes. you can bowhunt with a bad back. even if its your upper back thats the problem area. i have had a messed up rotator cup and all the muscles from my left arm up to my neck and halfway down the left side of my back severly pulled. i live everyday with some pain. yet i still bowhunt. like posted above, just go to a pro shop and ask to try a few bows. i also keep my peak weight under about 55 lbs. and cant shoot more than 15 rounds of 3 arrows. get out there and do it
Old 09-15-2005, 05:44 PM

The guy who owns the land that I hunt on has had major back problems ever since he was rear ended by a drunk driver. He can shoot a bow just fine and has been enjoying bow hunting ever since his accident, and his back is so bad he has to hunt laying down on the ground.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:20 PM

I did'ent except this much feed back and encouragement. I'm going to buy a bow and hopefully be ready for next year. Living with a bad back really changes everything you do. Sometime you fell useless or even a pu$$y when someone ask's to to help lift something really heavy , and you say i cant i have a bad back. Now hearing your stories I fell a little better. Thank you all for the helping hand.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:25 PM
Typical Buck

i know what ya mean. sometimes if i have even 15 lbs. hanging from my left hand my whole arm gets a charlie horse. glad to see you getting into bowhunting
Old 09-16-2005, 01:02 PM

I have no idea what ya'll are talking about with the corn-dog thing [&:], but I' have a bad back. Every now and then I can feel a little tightness after shooting a while but pretty much it hasn't effected me. But that just me. We all have different backs and very different back problems. Though it's good to get advice, it's really hard to say unless you've already tried it. I would talk to a physical therapist and see what he says. That's just my opinion, good luck!
Old 09-17-2005, 06:08 AM

I went through 3 epidural shots for a L4, L5 disk that gave me HUGE nerve pain. During the process I laid off , but I still shoot and hunt. Back is better and I shoot alot. Had a discectomy at L5-S1 and wanted to make sure that the shots worked so i did not have to go back to the or.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:21 AM

Yep Arthur never thought we would agree on much but on this I say the beer won that battle.