Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Back from Shilo hog/Ram Bowhunt >

Back from Shilo hog/Ram Bowhunt

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Back from Shilo hog/Ram Bowhunt

Old 08-12-2003, 10:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Back from Shilo hog/Ram Bowhunt

Had a good trip. Matt & Cheryl were super as always (my 2nd trip to their bowhunting operation). My 1st afternoon I arrowed a repectable Ram that I ambushed from a natural downfall ground blind at 20 yards-we had been watching a group of 8-9 Rams we had jumped on our way back to camp & 3 other Rams came into range from behind us. That evening, I had several hogs come into my stand near the feeder but other than a wet sow with 4 little ones & nice looking black bore of about 75 pounds nothing where I could get a decent hot. The next morning about 45 min. after good shooting light the same wet sow , 2 other sows & a 125-150 # Boar came into the feeder. The Boar finally presented a 20 yard shot & my arrow passed over a foot in front of him-BIG MISS. They all vacated & then about 15 min. later the feeder went off-10 min. later we hear hogs-back comes the sow & little ones then a little later the same Boar comes back. He finally comes to where I get another 20 yard shot-SAME THING-arrow passes over a foot in front of him-they all split & never come back. I get ready to climb down & notice my sight pin is BROKEN. I get back to camp & shoot a practice shot-14" to the left-I then resight my bow & replace the broken pin. That evening around 5 pm we have the sow & little ones come in & 2 other nice size roasting sows (what I really wanted). Finally one presents me with a 15 yard shot-whack-the 3 blade Rocky mountain breaks the spine & exits out the rib cage on the ohter side-hog squeels, drops gets up goes 10 feet & expires. We wait (I have a 9 year old boy with me observing-his 1st trip ever into the hunting world) till all gets quite & 10 min. later hear more hgogs coming from our left-SEVEN boars walk right next to the stand & into the feeder-all were just a little bigger than the one I had just killed. I filmed them thou I was tempted to try for another. Anyway-it was great & Shilo is a great place-I had seen over 30 hogs in 3 sittings & 14 had been shooters. I did see 3- 200 plus pounders walk past my stand at about 75 yards that day also.
Old 08-13-2003, 01:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Back from Shilo hog/Ram Bowhunt

Congrats on your hunt sounds like you had a great time with great company.

Brian