Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Bow tuned, now wont shoot for $*#% >

Bow tuned, now wont shoot for $*#%

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bow tuned, now wont shoot for $*#%

Old 09-13-2005, 02:00 PM

Default Bow tuned, now wont shoot for $*#%

For all of you who might have any ideas please help me. Ive got a matthews fx. I was shootin awsome groups from 20-50yrds. Had my bow retuned and centered the rest like a month ago cus it was knocked crooked from something. Also turned the draw up 5lbs and replaced the cable cus it was worn. When recentering the rest my knock point was moved down as was my peep. Soo, somewhere in the midst of all this something isnt right. I cant get my arrows to shoot a decent group. Its not that they are all high or low or left or right. They are ALL OVER. I had the draw turned up before I got the new cable. The cable was very worn and stretched. With the new cable it is like pulling a dead elephant up a cliff. I just wonder if any of you have any idea. I asked the guy at the shop and my arrows are rated for the poundage im pulling. But before the new cable it said I was pulling 55lbs so he turned it up to 60. But last year at another shop he said I was pulling like 63. When the cable wears does it lose that much energy? Now with the new cable It feels like ALOT more then 60lbs. Please help me. I have a hunt in S. Dakota in 15 days. And Im not feeling very confident past 30yrds.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bow tuned, now wont shoot for $*#%

Not being able to see your set up I can only guess first if its a 2 cam bow make sure the timeing is right some one will have to watch and make sure both cams are turning over at the same time. Or mabey your fletching is now hitting somewhere on your bow spray some foot powder on your bow by your rest and see if the arrow fletching is hitting anywhere. Try this I sure hope it helps. and Good Luck Mike
Old 09-13-2005, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dont' worry about the SD hunt, we'll get ya figured out before then. I'm not entirely positive, but i'm pretty sure that the Fx isn't a two cam bow, so the timing shouldn't be muchof a problem. I would definitely look at the tiller, makesureboth limbs are the poundage. Second I wouldtake it back to the shop and have them check the cables. Something does not sound right about the draw weight. I guess it is possible that the new cable did add some draw weight, and now you are pulling a double increase.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:50 PM

yeah id say just take it into ur nearest shop and have them take a look at it..thatd be the safest bet..
Old 09-13-2005, 05:18 PM
Fork Horn

the FX is a single cam bow.I would make sure the cable is the right length.if tis long its going to increase your poundage.as far as timing turn both limbs up all the way and back them off equal turns,this will put your timing on.it sounds like your cable is twisted up to much or its not the right length.when i got my bowtech new the cable had stretched about 3/8 of a inch and it increased my draw weight to 74lbs on a 70lb bow.
Old 09-13-2005, 06:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

#1. you only replaced the cable. I always replace both at the same time. When only replace the cable the new cable is shorter than the old one cause the old one was streched out some. This makes the string even longer in relationship to the cable. The longer the string is in relation to the cable and past factory specs the more poundage you will pull. This also has very likely thrown your cam rotaqtion out of whack. Single cams have a specific rate at which they are suppose to rotate to get the maximum performance.

I suggest replacing the string also or at a minimum you should twist it up to factory specs to get everything back to where it is suppose to be.

#2. With the single cam bow and using a release the arrow should be crossing dead center of the berger button hole and the nock should be aproximately 1/8th - 3/16ths nock high on the string.

#3. If you are right handed and having an older Mathews grip you are going to torque the bow just a little bit. The arrow should be pointing slightly left of center. Oposite if you are left handed.

Also tell us which arrows you are shooting and what weight head you are shooting.

Old 09-13-2005, 06:41 PM

Your new cables will stretch, and then the string and cables will be the same as before you bought new ones. IF they put the right size on. When they stretch, your poundage will drop some as well. It does sound like something is squirrely, I would check the brace height, tiller, and double double check to make sure the cables are seated on the cam and wheel properly. Also, check the limbs for cracks, and your rest. Make sure it hasn't come loose or is broken.
Then, once you are positive everything is ok, head to the shop and do some paper tuning, but only AFTER you have shot the bow 200 times or so to ensure the cables have stretched. Once they stretch, they are done. I don't believe they keep stretching.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:11 AM

Ok, thanks for the help soo far guys. The arrows are Blackhawk Vapor 4000 arrows. My draw is 30in I think. The arrows are a little over 28in. The bow is the matthews fx, bought in the late summer of 2003. Yes, with the grip I do torque the bow a little bit and it is very frustrating to me. One of the things that confuses me though is at the beginning of last season I got my draw weight tested and I was told it was between 63-65. And at the beginning of this season it was at like 55. I dont see how that happens. Im going hog hunting with a buddy tomorrow evening with it. But my shot wont be over 20yrds, so Ill be ok. Ill check up on some of the things you guys have said. I do know my string was either twisted and tightened or loosened a fair bit. When they moved my nock point they twisted my string several times trying to get my peep to stay in a new position and still turn over for me. So that is a good point and just might be the flaw if it is either too tight or too loose. But Ill check up on it with the info you guys have given me. If yall have anymore ideas please let me know.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bigbulls , has given a wealth of good info . If you cabel stretchs you will lose poundage ,if you twist it up or install a shorter one you will gain poundage . Make sure your cam index holes are paralel to the string . If you are useing 100 grain heads with that arrow I think you will be allright , 125's or heaveyer and you will be underspined .

You should replace the string allso , and make sure both string and cabel are dead on factory spec.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

The 5 pound weight increase may have put you over the edge for spine--try backing it back down 5 pounds abd see where it goes.

Quick Reply: Bow tuned, now wont shoot for $*#%

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.