Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Waxing bowstring >

Waxing bowstring

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Waxing bowstring

Old 09-09-2005, 02:33 PM

Default Waxing bowstring

I am a new bowhunter. I used my bow just a little bit last year before winter and picked up practicing this year (usually a couple of dozen arrows, 5 - 6 nights a week for the past couple of months) for my first bow season. I just read that I should be waxing my bowstring, which I have never done. I bought some bow wax and will begin doing so tonight. But my question is, if the string looks and has been performing okay, I think I should be safe, right? I'm not looking to talk to the proshop right away because I'm afraid they'll suggest changing it right before season regardless of if its okay or not. One guy there on the phone told me I should be waxing the bowstring every night. Any thoughts?
Old 09-09-2005, 02:55 PM

Default RE: Waxing bowstring

I heard the same thing about waxing your bow string every night. I shoot every night probably between 50-75 arrows. If I don't wax my bow, I can definitely tell a difference in the looks and preformance of my string. But on the other hand my string is pretty old. I'm definitely not a bow technition so this is just my personal experience.
Old 09-09-2005, 03:26 PM
Typical Buck

Every night would definitely be overkill. I wax mine once a week and I shoot alot.
Old 09-09-2005, 04:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Wax the string and cables once every week or so. Any time they feel dry, wax it. Wax it before shooting in wet/rainy conditions to help keep water out of the string. Then wax it again the morning after shooting in the rain, making sure the rigging has dried out. I'd even wax before shooting where it's dry and dusty, to keep the dust from getting between the fibers.

After waxing, rub the string briskly with a piece of soft leather, to heat the wax and help it flow into the string, instead of just sitting up on top of the surface fibers. It'll also burnish the wax, to help keep dirt and water out of the string.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:39 PM
Typical Buck

I also wax mine once a week. They will start to fray before long if you don't
take care of them. Welcome to bowhunting by the way.
Old 09-10-2005, 12:37 AM

I wax mine once a week as well. Iuse a fairly heavy arrow.Close to 500 grains. If you shoot a powerful bow and shoot light arrows you may need to wax your string more often. Just athought.
Old 09-10-2005, 12:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I’ll wax the string and cables when it starts to get a dry look. As to the question, is the string all right? Most often the string will let go under the center serving where you attach the nock set at the apex. Normally the string will give you an indication if the strands are starting to go. If you are a right hand shooter and your arrow start hitting high right, it’s time to replace the string and cables. When strands start to break you will pick up speed due to fewer strands and impact high because the spine of the arrow is weaker with the increased speed.