Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Waxing?

Old 05-18-2004, 09:45 PM
Typical Buck

Default Waxing?

OK, I got a new bow, and like when I got my new truck, it is getting waxed a lot. But can you over wax a bow string?
How often should you wax your bowstring? Not how often do you wax your bowstring.
My string has been getting a lot of attention lately. Do you folks even wax your cables? like where the serving is and everything?
If I keep waxing like this I may have to ask the Mrs. to give me some help with the waxing.
You know,..."wax on,..wax off"
Old 05-18-2004, 09:50 PM

Default RE: Waxing?

Normally once a month is good, unless you get the string wet or somethin. To much wax isnt necessarily bad, but, its just messy. If you just stick to about once a month, check everything over(screws, sight settings, nock settings)then you can probably go ahead and wax your string.
Old 05-18-2004, 10:23 PM

I wax my string every couple days when Im shooting it and I wax serving as much as I can reach and wax the string loop also- yes it is a mess sometimes but Id rather be safe than sorry- Thats just me- i go to extremes sometimes such as using a blowdryer set on low to really get the wax into the core of the fibers ect...

Lets just say this Ive got one bow that Ive had since 2001 and its got the orig. string and cable on it- No it doesnt look new but Its still in very good shape- Ive got a new Winners choice In the shop fridge that I bought for it 2 yrs ago for it but Darn this bow shoots so well just as it is that Im afraid to mess with it- Yes I keep my strings and even fishing line in a Small dorm refridg. Just to keep em nice and cool and out of the sunlight and heat.
Old 05-19-2004, 06:26 AM

depends on what kind of wax you are using really, and how long it lasts. now that i'm using black lightning wax with graphite i don't have to wax as often, but if i shoot 100-200 arrows i'll usually wax afterwards as part of the ritual. 'at the first sign of dryness'. i don't wax my serving or loop, never really thought about it - seems like it would help it separate or slip.