Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Stabilizer Question >

Stabilizer Question

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Stabilizer Question

Old 08-31-2005, 12:48 AM

Default Stabilizer Question

Not to sure about the different kinds of stabilizers. Does it really matter which brand or type, they all say "reduces noise" but is there any one better than another, last piece of the puzzle.

thanks
Old 08-31-2005, 05:32 AM

Default RE: Stabilizer Question

i really like my 8" stealth. www.stealtharchery.com. lots of guys on this site shoot them and speak highly of them.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

There definitely is a difference to the different types of stabilizers. For starters, stabilizers serve two basic purposes. One, they help in terms of balancing the bow and consquently in the aiming process. Second, and more recently, they have been relied upon to reduce shot noise, vibration and recoil. Furthermore, different styles of bows exhibit different frequencies of noise...different types or directions of vibration and different styles of recoil. Finding the right stabilizer can be a very tricky process. Going to a reputable shop that will allow you to try several different styles is typically the best route to go with.

Personally, I have always found the Sims combinations (S-coil, Enhancer 2000, regular Enhancer and Modular stabilizer) to work the most often on a variety of different bows and setups.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:59 AM

The S-Coil is a very good stabilizer and extremely affordable ($19.99).
Old 08-31-2005, 07:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Another vote for the S-coil. I got one put on my old PSE bow and it really truely quieted everything down. I dont' have any vibration at all in my bow!
Old 08-31-2005, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Frank nailed it. Try several different types/lengths/weights.

The last few bows I've owned have all ended up with Doinker D2s/A Bombsafter some experimentation, but SorboTek, Stealth & Sims are some of my other choices.

Old 08-31-2005, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm using the 8" Stealth as well and haven't yet found something I like better. My Patriot is pretty quiet even w/out a stabilizer but I did notice a little difference once the Stealth was installed. Personally, what I like most is the way it balances my bow.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with PaBowhunter. A fixed, rigid stabilizer around 10" to 12" to which weight can be added to the front will not only balance the bow, but give you a much steadier bow arm. With the longer stabilizer the balance can be adjusted by adding small increments of weight to the front with the least mass weight over your bow hand. Very little noise is eliminated by the stabilizer. The small, rubber segmented stabilizers will also change the characteristics of a tuned bow when the temperature drops below freezing. My favorite for years was the Sanders Torque Tamer, but during cold weather shoots the rubber between the segments would harden and change my point of impact. Try a few different, quality fixed stabilizers at your local pro shop until you find one that is comfortable and works well with your particular setup.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:34 AM

Thanks for the help guys, i think i'm just gonna wait and get the stabilizer with the bow
Old 09-02-2005, 09:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

I like my lil doinker.Dont get the wrong ideas here now.