Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Tuning new carbons last night >

Tuning new carbons last night

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Tuning new carbons last night

Old 09-25-2002, 06:56 AM

Default Tuning new carbons last night

The first few shots I made with my new Beman ICS 400's was through paper at about 1-2 foot away. I was really surprised to see that they seemed to make almost perfect bullet holes right away. So surprised in fact that I kept doubting it. It just didn't seem possible that they were already "in tune" since I didn't do anything to my bow. I tried shooting through the paper from several distances and only one arrow seemed to be getting a slight right tear which I attributed to possible fletch contact. Did the same test with broadheads and received similar results. Needless to say I was quite relieved to find them flying well.

I dialed in my sight and got very good groupings. However, I felt that I should try one more tuning experiment. I shot the arrows from about 12 yards across a horizontal line. I found that I couldn't keep them perfectly horizontal so I adjusted my nock point by lowering my rest a little bit. The horizontal became very tight after that. Next I shot a vertical line and found it to be near perfect. Does anybody else tune this way? This is the first time I ever tried this method.

After the last test, I reset my sights and got even tighter groupings. At this point I think I can stop tinkering and start trying to shoot better.

That is basically the question I wanted to pose to you all. At what point do YOU stop messing around with or blaming a bad shot on tuning and focus on just shooting?

-Mike

Old 09-25-2002, 09:45 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-25-2002, 11:40 AM

Default RE: Tuning new carbons last night

Could you explain the horizontal and vertical test please.
Old 09-25-2002, 11:58 AM

Default RE: Tuning new carbons last night

Arrowguy,

I got the test out of the Easton Arrow Tuning guide. You can find the guide right on the front page at the Beman.com arrows website.

The way I did it was: Place one strip of masking tape horizontally across the top edge of my target and a second vertically along the right edge. Stand back about 10 to 12 yards and shoot about 6 arrows across the horizontal. I aimed at the tape. (Of course if, your sights are set to 20 yards, your arrows will hit high.) Now just check to see how well they line up. If your nocking point is good, you'll have a nice even row of arrows. If not, make a very small adjustment to your nocking point either up or down (I simply raised/lowered my rest). Shoot the arrows again and see if the row tightens up. If it gets worse, go the other way with your nocking point. Once you have a good row, shoot the vertical line. Your looking for a nice straight vertical row of arrows. If their off, move the rest in small increments either right or left until it tightens up. You can also try adjusting the spring tension to try to fix the vertical.

-Mike