Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

What length

Old 07-06-2005, 09:25 AM

Default What length

I am using a Trophy Taker fallaway at a 28inch draw. For a hunting rig, what would be a good arrow length? I had the cut to 28 inches from mid nock to end of shaft is that too long?
Old 07-06-2005, 09:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What length

There is no definite length that an arrow has to be. You should though, use the length of your arrow to your advantage when tuningany bow. There is a minimum length that I use which is past the knuckles on the grip.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:32 AM

What do you mean use it to my tuning advantage. By makeing it shorter ?
Old 07-06-2005, 09:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sorry, I should have explained a litle better.

Remember, you can only shorten arrows, not lengthen them. First find the minimum that you would be willing to go. For me, I am not willing have an arrow shorter then my knuckes as mentioned(this is for safety reasons when using a fixed broadhead).

I usually start with the arrow full length, but then again, I have a long draw. Most of my arrows uncut start at 34", but I am not willing to go shorter then 30 1/2 inches. If my arrow is reacting weak at 34", I have a few options, including cutting the shaft downin 1/2 inch increments, this will stiffen the arrow. If the arrow is acting stiff (say I cut too far), then I would move to a heavier tip. These are just some of the options. With your compound, you could also move the rest, but I prefer to leave things as close to centershot as possible.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Make sure you have your arrows cut long enough so the rest comes up before the insert passes over the edge of the shelf on the riser. When I had my arrows cut I did so without regard to this and now I need to get new longer arrows because the blades of a broadhead hit the riser before the rest comes up. Not a good situation.

Mike