Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 straight or offset fletch >

straight or offset fletch

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

straight or offset fletch

Old 07-05-2005, 08:21 PM

Default straight or offset fletch

Iam looking atshooting magnus stingers this fall and was wondering what type fletch would be best for a larger cut on contact blade like this? I have been shooting small expandables for a while and this will be an entirely new type setupp for me.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:03 PM

Default RE: straight or offset fletch

Some sort of offset will always be more forgiving than none at all. It really depends on how good your arrows are and how well tuned your bow is. Having good form doesn't hurt either.

Paul
Old 07-05-2005, 09:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Fletching serves two purposes. One: to correct arrow flight when you have a poor release. Two: to spin the arrow for accuracy. Definitely a little offset will improve your groups, especially when shooting fixed broadheads.
Old 07-06-2005, 03:20 AM

I have been using straight and having no problems at all with the expandables. Just didn't know if that would still work with the bigger blades of a cuc on contact.??
Old 07-06-2005, 05:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would definitely go with a slight offset as some spin to your arrows will give you better accuracy with a broadhead that has lots of exposed blade area.
Old 07-06-2005, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

As others have mentioned, you will most likely need some offset to your fletching. Most factory fletched arrows have some offset, but it is not easy to see. Fixed heads catch the air and tend to steer your arrows off course. I just completed broadhead tuning on my hunting bow, and found no real difference between offset fletching and helical, at least out to 40 yards. Some of the newer low-profile broadheads (Slick Trick, Rocky Mt. Turbo, NAP Nitron and Crossfire, Wasp Boss and Boss Bullet) out today will require less control by the fletch to shoot well, however.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you are using feather, I'd go with a helical.

For vanes - offset.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:12 PM

Try the offset first and if you are getting less than perfect arrow flight go out and get you some QuickSpins by NAP and try them with a offset. They will increase your spin and stabilize your arrow flight better. If you have a dropaway rest I would try a helical fletch.
Old 07-10-2005, 06:15 AM

I have put NAP,s QUICK SPIN on all my arrows only after i shot a dozen of them. yes they do spin the arrow more but you sure can't hardly see it. i used a right hand off-set like NAP recommended. they shoot real good nut they are about 20$ for 36vanes in a pack. or you can go to cabela's and get them on the STALKER EXTREME arrows. hope this helps good luck hunting jim