Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Len in MD...Draw Length >

Len in MD...Draw Length

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Len in MD...Draw Length

Old 07-03-2005, 10:31 PM

Default Len in MD...Draw Length

What DL are you presently shooting? If you've been used to shooting a DL that is 2" too long, which is NOT uncommon, then you'd have to be brought down easily. A moduled cam is usuallythemost economicalfor this. It's VERY rare that someone is shooting a DL too short, but it does happen.
I had been shooting a 28.5" CSS Swampmaster. I just purchased a 27" Switch Back...the pro said it "fit me". I believe him...it fit me better than the 28.5", but after shooting it for more than a week, I feel the need for just a bit more.
What DW are you presently comfortable with? Some of the older cams will loose/gain weight depending on which way you move the DL. In cases like this the new DL may seem more or less comfortable depending on which way you go. Knowledge about changing DW when DL is changed is sometimes overlooked, and the corresponding comfort is therefore compromised/compensated. Incorrect DW can affect accuracy as well as incorrect DL.
I can pull 70-71 lbs without any problem on the SwitchBack it seems to have a smoother draw cycle and thus allows me to pull more with the same comfort level as my old bow. With the CSS I could pull 70, but was comfortable with 63-64.
What do you plan on doing - target shooting or hunting? While many will disagree, there can be a big difference in how you're set up and the comfort/effectiveness you'll feel with each style.
I am first and foremost a hunter. I am, however, trying to get into 3D more. I go to Snowshoe and shoot the Trophy Class HC for fun. While I am a hunter, and could hunt with little consequence using the set-up I have, I want to become more proficient. I am not satisfied with 2" groups at 30 yards...I enjoy shooting and want to become as proficient as possible.
Old 07-04-2005, 08:49 AM

Default RE: Len in MD...Draw Length

Now to the question. "Is Short Good or Bad for Accuracy? NOT! You'd have to answer my questions firstand show up at the shop for me to even make an attempt to answer that question.

You missed the last part of my previous post. You also stated "...the pro said it "fit me". I believe him..." Just like you presented yourself to him, you'd have to give me the sameopportunity to thoroughly evaluate your fit/form.

Good luck and good shooting.