Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Is Short Good or Bad for Accuracy? (draw length) >

Is Short Good or Bad for Accuracy? (draw length)

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Is Short Good or Bad for Accuracy? (draw length)

Old 06-29-2005, 08:10 PM

Default Is Short Good or Bad for Accuracy? (draw length)

I recently purchased a SB and have been shooting alot of arrows to break it in. I feel that the draw length could be just a hair short and am wondering how badly it will hurt my accuracy. I feel some tension in my bow arm and feel that perhaps my bow arm may have too much bend in compensation (vs. being locked out)...but I am very particular and could be splitting hairs.

I realize that one downfall to shorter length is speed loss, but speed is not one of my priorities...accuracy comes before speed for me. I am grouping well, but am wondering what some of you advanced shooters can tell me about having a slightly short draw.

Thanks!
Old 06-29-2005, 08:35 PM

Default RE: Is Short Good or Bad for Accuracy? (draw length)

I don't consider myself an "advanced shooter", but I'll try togive a shot at some form of explanation. If I'm wrong, I'm sure that I will be corrected in short order.The shorter the DL, the less time the string is in contact with the arrow, so in that case it would be more forgiving of improper follow through, hence, more accurate; however, with proper form, crisp release, and proper follow through, just about any bow can be shot accurately if it is tuned and shot with the proper spinedarrows. IMO it would be better to feel confident and comfortable with your bow and DL. If you feel it is too short, then by all means tinker with the DL 1/4" at a time until you get it to where it feels just right. For what it's worth, I can shoot my wife's Rascal with suprising accuracy out to 40 yds. My DL is 29"and her DL is 25". It feels funny all crouched up like that, but I could shoot it all day and hit the bull's eye.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:44 PM

Shorter draw length bows can be more forgiving. It is basically the same concept as having more brace height. And alot of the top archers and records that have been set are by shorter draw archers from what I understand. One advantage to being little.

However this is if the bow fits you. Shooting a bow with too short of a draw length can be just as bad as one with too long of a draw length. If it doesn't feel right, lengthen it a bit and see if it is better.

You should be able to stand straight and draw your bow with it held out infront of you smoothly. When at draw your bow arm should be straight but not locked, or have a slight bend in it. The Grip should rest in your hand with the pressure in the bottom where the bones to the wrist are. Not in the web of your hand at the top. Your shoulder should be low and forward, not up and rolled back. Your draw arm should have the elbow above the line of the arrow and your hand should be somewhere on the side of your face, not behind your head or neck. And usually your string will slightly touch your nose and bisect the corner of your mouth. This is a bit harder if you have a longer draw length and shorter ATA bow. The important thing is that your body and head remain straight up and down, not leaning back.

You can shoot a bow with a much shorter draw, but it is hard to hold steady for very long because of the bend in your bow arm. Most shoot a bow that is a bit long for them though. Also keep in mind the type of release you use and if you use a loop or not could effect your overall draw length.

Paul
Old 06-30-2005, 05:21 AM

The only way I know to determine your best draw length is to test at many slightly different draw lengths. There will be one where your pin floats less. This does assume that your form will remain the same. If you straighten your arm or bend it more, change your grip or anchor, you will find your ideal draw length also changes.
Old 06-30-2005, 05:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

When I first read your post I was thinking along totally different lines from what Roseaukane and Paul responded with. True, a shorter draw length could potentially lead to greater accuracy because of the shorter power stroke but as Paul mentioned having the bow actually fit you correctly is of much greater importance.

Many folks will tell you that a slightly too short draw length is better than one slightly too long. I somewhat agree with that but would also counter with the point that the correct draw length is better than one slightly too short. Case in point, I have tried shooting bows a half inch and an inch shorter than my actual draw length and they give me fits. I end up putting too much torque into the grip because of having to bend my bow arm too much. This drastically affects my accuracy.

I would agree with Straightarrow...try to find a few Switchbacks with draw lengths close to yours and see how they feel.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:16 PM

The shorter the DL, the less time the string is in contact with the arrow, so in that case it would be more forgiving of improper follow through, hence, more accurate
I do not agree at all with this, and I hear it over and over on the net. If "the time the arrow was on the string" made any difference at all in forgiveness. Every top indoor shooter would be using very light and fast arrows to get them off the string fast. Yet they almost all shoot very heavy logs out of 50lb bows that go abouts 200 fps with a tail wind

The few inches of brace or the few inches in draw length and their respects to "time on the string" mean nothing in the world of accuracy. Shooting a very heavy arrow at 50lbs causes the arrow to be on the string much longer than almost every short braced speed bow out there................YET these target bow are the most forgiving bows out there

Shoot the draw that FITS you. The "forgiveness" comes with form - and form comes with correct drawlength.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Every top indoor shooter would be using very light and fast arrows to get them off the string fast. Yet they almost all shoot very heavy logs out of 50lb bows that go abouts 200 fps with a tail wind
Im perfect then. Low poundage, shooting LOGS, short draw, and shooting 200fps with a tail wind.
Old 07-01-2005, 05:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

I do not agree at all with this, and I hear it over and over on the net. If "the time the arrow was on the string" made any difference at all in forgiveness. Every top indoor shooter would be using very light and fast arrows to get them off the string fast.
True, though I would counter with the idea that it isn't time spent on the string but rather the distance. The longer the distance the better the chance of shooting errors imparted to the arrow upon release.
Old 07-01-2005, 06:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rack Attack ya hit the nail on the head there!!!!!
Old 07-01-2005, 06:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

The bottom line is that you need to have the bow fit you . If its too short its wrong , if its too long its wrong . I disagree with Paul .I belive most archers can shoot a slightly longer draw bow much better than a slightly shorter bow . This is kind of a urban legand among archers that everyone would shoot better if they shot a inch shorter bow . Get the bow to fit you just right , youll be happyer , and shoot much better .

edit = To answer the original question I would say short is bad , will open up you groups left to right in most cases .

Quick Reply: Is Short Good or Bad for Accuracy? (draw length)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.