Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Is Short Good or Bad for Accuracy? (draw length) >

Is Short Good or Bad for Accuracy? (draw length)

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Is Short Good or Bad for Accuracy? (draw length)

Old 07-01-2005, 07:16 AM

Default RE: Is Short Good or Bad for Accuracy? (draw length)

The way I've been taught to check for minor draw length problems
If your draw length is a little too short, the movements in your site picture will be more short and jerky. You will be able to hold on your target, but it's easier to throw one out.
If you draw length is a little too long, the movements will be longer and slower but with a littlegreater range of motion.
Perfect draw length the movement of your site picture is slow and small.

This is for draw lengths that are within 1/4" of perfect.
In all cases, I think that the closer you can get to perfect, the better. Terry Ragsdale, one of the best professional shooters of recent times, says that he spends more time adjusting the draw length on a new bow than all other tuning combined.

Hope this helps,
Allen
Old 07-01-2005, 07:24 AM

I prefer short dl bows.
Old 07-01-2005, 03:25 PM

Proper fit is where it is at,comfort lends itself to consistency.I thought Pauls explanation was excellant and appreciated the amount of detail provided.I do agree that most archers draw length is to long and most also shoot poundages that are to heavy,a lot of the draw length issues are stance related,being to open in one's stance.Do A google search on Kirk Etheridge or Bernie Pellerite and see the stance they recommend.Proper draw length is extremely important if you want to shoot with back tension,the comment made by the gentleman about Terry Ragsdale makes perfect sense to me.I have made minute adjustments in the past and after they were made it was like AAHH! Now we arewhere we need to be.Another good reason to have non stretch strings and cables!
Old 07-01-2005, 08:21 PM

If you shoot a loop make it a little longer. One of the guys I hunt with has a 33" draw length but Mathews only makes a 31" draw lenght so he has a 2" loop and shoots bullets.
Old 07-02-2005, 07:19 AM

One of the guys I hunt with has a 33" draw length but Mathews only makes a 31" draw lenght
Actually mathews has a bow...I can't remember the name of it.............lol[&o].....and I am a dealer[]....that goes to up to about 40" draw.

It was designed for Shaq - They do not advertise it but I believe they still make them.
Old 07-02-2005, 08:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

With a 33 1/2" draw, I've never been able to try shooting a bow that had a draw length that was too long for me. On the other hand, I've done some very good shooting - even won a few tournaments - with bows drawing a measely 31". I see a whole lot of guys shooting draw lengths that are at least 2" too long for them, with their arrows' nocks drawn nearly back to their ears. Most of them seem to shoot okay, but I've never seen one of them taking trophies home from tournaments.

So, I say having a draw length slightly too short is better than having one slightly too long. But if you're feeling strain in your bow arm due to the draw length being a bit short, you really need to fix it.
Old 07-02-2005, 01:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

On the other hand, I've done some very good shooting - even won a few tournaments - with bows drawing a measely 31".
Hey now...I saw that...you big ape...

Old 07-02-2005, 01:40 PM

I'm not sure I'd call Arthur a "big ape", even by email - smiley or not!
Old 07-02-2005, 02:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Straightarrow, the heck of it is... He's right.[8D]
Old 07-02-2005, 06:43 PM

While many may have a variety of opinions, knowing the answers to several questions and being able to see your form is the ONLY way to properly make recommendations.

Some of the questions would be:
What DL are you presently shooting? If you've been used to shooting a DL that is 2" too long, which is NOT uncommon, then you'd have to be brought down easily. A moduled cam is usuallythemost economicalfor this. It's VERY rare that someone is shooting a DL too short, but it does happen.
What DW are you presently comfortable with? Some of the older cams will loose/gain weight depending on which way you move the DL. In cases like this the new DL may seem more or less comfortable depending on which way you go. Knowledge about changing DW when DL is changed is sometimes overlooked, and the corresponding comfort is therefore compromised/compensated. Incorrect DW can affect accuracy as well as incorrect DL.
What do you plan on doing - target shooting or hunting? While many will disagree, there can be a big difference in how you're set up and the comfort/effectiveness you'll feel with each style.

I usually spend at least 15-30 minutes with each customer trying to understand where they've been and where they want to go with archery. Once they've made themselves clear to me, I can address their particular needs. The process of both changing or finding their proper DL for their particular needs can then take minutes, hours, days, or months. It all depends on where they are and where they want to go.

Now to the question. "Is Short Good or Bad for Accuracy? NOT! You'd have to answer my questions firstand show up at the shop for me to even make an attempt to answer that question.

Good luck and good shooting.

Quick Reply: Is Short Good or Bad for Accuracy? (draw length)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.