Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Bow CANTING question >

Bow CANTING question

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bow CANTING question

Old 06-23-2005, 08:51 PM
Fork Horn

Default Bow CANTING question

I have a question about a bow canting

I first off I shoot left. So when my bow cants it cants to the right....meaning sight bubble in sights is floated to right side.

I know there may be several things that make the bow do this. When i grip my bow the bow sits in the "V" of my palm. To make the bow square I must kinda push my thumb into the grip and roll my palm "baby finger side" into riser.

My release is a truefire that the caliper adjustment turns 360 ( for length of pull to trigger).
Can the way you have your release set ( not perfect 90 degrees to D loop) cause this?

Just wondering? I put the arrows in the mark the way I shoot, just want to get better and or improve my form.

Thanks

AL
Old 06-23-2005, 09:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bow CANTING question

Well it sounds like you are on the right track by observing everything that goes into a shot. Think of it this way, what ever you do you want to be able to do it the same every time, unless it's bad of course, and the more detailed the better. If your release is not 90 to your loop do you think you can be sure of always having it at what ever else it would be?
Old 06-23-2005, 11:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

When i grip my bow the bow sits in the "V" of my palm.
You have too much palm in your grip what you need to do is have the center of the riser inmeaty part of your thumb with your knuckles down and away from the riser at 45 degrees.
Old 06-24-2005, 06:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

That's one of the main things I don't like about sights. They demand you hold the bow one way and only one way in order to get off an accurate shot. So....

Take the sights off and shoot barebow. That way, the cant won't bother you a bit. It can even be a good thing.
Old 06-24-2005, 06:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would tend to agree with Ausie. It is very easy on some bow grips to put too much pressure with our hand into the grip. This can cause the bow to twist on a different axis thus allowing your bubble level to give you incorrect readings.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's one of the main things I don't like about sights. They demand you hold the bow one way and only one way in order to get off an accurate shot.
Very true Auther

A cant is not necessarily a bad thing , just shim your site .

edit = ohI forgot to add ,do it the same way every time allso
Old 06-24-2005, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Get a sight with 3rd axis leveling like an Extreme or Copper John Dead Nuts Pro.
Old 06-27-2005, 04:37 AM

Can the way you have your release set ( not perfect 90 degrees to D loop) cause this?
If you do it the same way each time, the arrow will fly to the same spot. This is true whatever the angle is. I know guys who shot with one pin and cant their bow on every shot. They shoot very well, because they have the degree of cant very similar on each shot. The key to shooting good is to increase your ability to repeat your form on each shot.