Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 APA Bows.......my review >

APA Bows.......my review

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

APA Bows.......my review

Old 06-12-2005, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default APA Bows.......my review

Well there is a guy here locally that just changed from Martin to APA shooter staff. I have shot with him on a few shoots now and he let me shoot his Taipan yesterday. Let me start my review off with the fact that I think the riser is not the prettiest..............but damn that bow is a shooter.

Side by side with my Patriot w/ the stock Bowtech silencers on the cable only, and Ultra Limb savers on the limbs as well as the hushkit on the limbs, and a 6" Stealth stabilizer this APA Taipan was NOTICABLY quieter than my Patriot. There was considerably less shock when it went off as well when compared to my patriot. I was thoroughly impressed as long as I wasn't looking at the riser of this bow. They are 35" ATA, 7 3/8" brace, and 318 IBO. They apparently have another bow the Black Mamba and it is 340 IBO with 6 1/2" brace and apparently has Bowtech Black Night cams on it?

I am thinking about retiring the Patriot so it would only be a hunting bow next fall, and this may be what I am swapping to for 3D next season. We will have to see what Bowtech brings out this year for me to decide whats next.

Here is a Black Mamba.......

Old 06-12-2005, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: APA Bows.......my review

I have looked at the APA bows but never held one in my hands as there are no dealers around me. The Black Mamba does have the same cams as the Bowtech ( under license ) and the limbs are also from Gordon Glass. Really wierd looking riser/handle on those bows but what really counts is the performance. There might even be some utility to that design with its broadhead wrenchs and sharpeners built in. How was the draw cycle on that puppy? Valley ? General feel ?
Old 06-12-2005, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TerryM

I have looked at the APA bows but never held one in my hands as there are no dealers around me. The Black Mamba does have the same cams as the Bowtech ( under license ) and the limbs are also from Gordon Glass. Really wierd looking riser/handle on those bows but what really counts is the performance. There might even be some utility to that design with its broadhead wrenchs and sharpeners built in. How was the draw cycle on that puppy? Valley ? General feel ?
Well I shot the single cam Taipan and the draw cycle felt remarkably like a..................Bowtech Patriot with the same valley and a nice firm draw stop post which helps me with back tension. Similar valley as my bow and remarkably similar in all aspects expect that there was more mass and weight to the bow itself which I like better actually. It also wasn't as top heavy as my patriot.

I am thoroughly impressed with everything except for the appearance of the thing.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

I wouldn't mind giving one a try. Try finding one locally though. I definitely feel they have a niche to fill though. Just think of all those folks who might need a tool kit for their bow when they are off hunting some location distant from civilization.