Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

String Leeches?

Old 09-19-2002, 02:36 PM

Default String Leeches?

I had rubber cat whiskers on my bow and just recently switched to Sims String Leeches. With the cat whiskers my Mathews Q2 was very quiet, but now with the string leeches the bow is very noisy. Could I have installed the leeches improperly or are rubber cat whiskers simply more effective? Would attaching the string leeches in closer to the nock help them perform better? I also noticed that one of the string leeches I installed is not quite perpendicular to the bowstring as recommended in the installation instructions. Could this be causing the poor performance? COULD SOMEONE PLEASE ADVISE ME ON THE PROPER INSTALLATION OF SIMS STRING LEECHES? I must be doing something wrong!
Old 09-19-2002, 06:11 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-19-2002, 09:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: String Leeches?

I have had just the opposite with my Cybertec. Cat whiskers just didn't cut it for some reason. Especially after I got my Winners Choice strings and cables put on. They just made a weird noise. I put a set of leeches on, and its gone and quiet as heck. They dont last as long, but put a set of fresh ones in before opening day, and you're good to go all season.
Old 09-20-2002, 11:45 AM
CG

The new Kevlar String Leeches are very good and last MUCH longer.

"What we do in this life echos an eternity"
Old 09-20-2002, 02:21 PM

Yooper
I had the same experience. A friend put the leeches on his bow first and told me they were crap and didn't work. Of course I didn't believe him b/c I had heard from so many other people swearing they were the best thing since sliced bread. Needless to say I put them on my bow and took them off the same day. I'll stick with cat whiskers.
Old 09-20-2002, 03:58 PM

I personally can't believe anyone is having better luck with rubber whiskers than String Leeches. My bow is as quiet without whiskers as it is with them. I just put Leeches on in preperation for opening day and the bow barely whispers.

PBB

Pick a hair.....or a caruncle!!
Old 09-20-2002, 09:46 PM

What type of bow do you have? Where on the string did you install your string leeches? Did you put them closer to the middle of the string and the nock or out closer to the axles? I think the type of string and location on the string may be an important factor in the performance of the string leeches! Some swear by the leeches, while others curse them. There's got to be a logical explanation for this!

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
I personally can't believe anyone is having better luck with rubber whiskers than String Leeches. My bow is as quiet without whiskers as it is with them. I just put Leeches on in preperation for opening day and the bow barely whispers.

PBB

Pick a hair.....or a caruncle!!
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>
Old 09-21-2002, 05:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm a Leeches fan as well. On soe bows I've had, it's the ONLY thing that would make a dent in the string noise.

The new Kevlar ones do seem to hold up much better, which IMO was the only problem with design (durability)

JeffB