Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

String Leeches

Old 06-02-2006, 02:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default String Leeches

I know string leeches are supposed to be great but mine break constantly. Does anyone else have that problem or a better solution? I am thinking about just taking them off. I did not think it made much difference with my setup anyway.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:47 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: String Leeches

I used to have a problem with mine too,I don't have them on my new bow.It is a different style,and came on the bow.I have the Diamond,and it has great string silencers.You can get the kit at cabelas for $20,and includes silencers that go around your limbs.The string has to be taken off though.

Another option that is becoming very popular this year is the STS archery system.You can remove your string silencers all together,and not only lose string noise,but gain speed from removing the silencers.I'm going to get one before season comes in.

Bow Jacks are pretty good too from what I hear.Hope I helped.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had that problem originally with the Sims, but then realized I needed the kevlar ones or whatever. I can shoot two years with em before I think weathering catches up and they finally crack and break, not bad really.[8D]
Old 06-03-2006, 08:51 AM

String leeches are nothing short of JUNK and a waste of money! I too had a set put on my bow sting and they too dry-rotted in a matter of weeks. Don't waste your time or money on this junk!
Old 06-03-2006, 10:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

They don't last long but they work wonders on my bow. I took them off and it my string sounded like I was plucking a guitar. Put them back on and almost no string noise at all.
Old 06-03-2006, 11:33 AM

String leeches are crap! Period. Put on cat whiskers or the new string shox and you'll be set.
Old 06-03-2006, 04:35 PM
Fork Horn

thanks for all the input, I did not know they made kevlar leeches. I will also check out the STS system.
Old 06-03-2006, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not sure if it is made of Kevlar, but Sims improved them. The first sets I changed every other week..... but once I got the improved, and whether it is actually kevlar that is what the guy said. I use them for a year or so, then when I do maintenance on my bow I swap them out so they dont finally give out on a hunt. Junk? IMHO no but it all comes down to each his own. Personally, unless it is super pricey I like to try things for myself. Sort of like the movie everyone says you got to see and it is crap or vice versa. What I am saying, is the only way is to try it your self. And like everything else, you either like em and use em or hate em and don't. Me, as I have said many times, guys with brand new Matthews look at my 3 year old bow and ask what it is. When I say Matthews they look funny cause they say it is quieter then there new one with all the gizmos...... all I did was add some Sims stuff and yes, leeches and everyone just says they are amazed. Had a buddy 10 feet below say he couldnt even hear the release.... so are they crap? Maybe, but you know what, they will always be on my string........ [8D][8D][8D][8D]
Old 06-03-2006, 08:19 PM

yerah i had one of those break and fly up and hit me in the eye after that they came off like a bad habit havent had em on since

P.S. J.L. I can not think you enough for what you do for our country and God bless you and all the other men and women of the armed services
Old 06-03-2006, 09:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Know that the older ones would break off as I shot, would draw back and be there, and then when I went to nock another arrow it was gone..... never had it hit me though, guess I would be gun shy too.

and you are welcome..... enjoy doing what I do, but I will see you all in the woods come fall! [8D]