Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 antelope mount over night? >

antelope mount over night?

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

antelope mount over night?

Old 01-15-2005, 10:06 PM

Default antelope mount over night?

hi everyone, my post is a ? have u ever seen a taxidermist that would do your antelope mount over night? here is the site www.speedgoattaxidermy.com he can do your antelope mount faster than the butcher can cut it up for u! u ask how does he do this? the mount is already done, all that is needed is the horns boiled and the hair of the horn glued on the skull plate! u get a nice mount and don't have to wait! he says he can do deer also, but he has to cut the skull plate? if it is not a book buck i guess it does not matter? check it out!!!
www.speedgoattaxidermy.com
Old 01-15-2005, 10:12 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: antelope mount over night?

Yes, that is fast. But those mounts look horrible![:-]
Old 01-15-2005, 11:51 PM

i would like to coment back to your reply,( those mounts look horrible,) have u ever seen one! and if u know anything about mounts u know that all there is for a differance is the change of the black hair (or as most people call it the shell). the rest of the mount was done the exact same as your 12month mount , u most be an oldfasion taxidermist? or just can't stand the fact u waited 2 years for the samething?
Old 01-18-2005, 07:40 AM

I can almost guarantee that those mounts are not done like I'd do them. They do look horrible. Well maybe not totally horrible, but they sure aren't anywhere near quality or good mounts. There is no way to even tan a hide in that time period.

The only way that you could get a real quality mount with tanned hide in that time frame is if someone is mounting heads ahead of time and simply swapping out horns or antlers. And then you don't get your real hide back.

Other than that, just simpe logistics of even using dry preservative(his prices reflect dry preservative route and not tanning) will not allow enough time for drying before painting. Which will lead to cracks around eyes, mouth, nose etc... later on.

BTW your comment if you have ever seen one--well yes, look at the website. There is a photo gallery right there. From that anyone thats done quality work can tell right off they are not top of the line works. You provided us with the link to look at the mounts.

Jeff

Just to be sure I went back and reclicked to enlarge the photos. Looks like he has like 3 or 4 mounts only and duplicate photos of the same ones a few times. Looking closely I don't even think those rate as high as horrible in my books. But if you want cheap and fast, I think you found that for sure. Should have a drive through window like Mc Donalds in that shop.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:21 AM

hi rost, if u would READ and UNDERSTAND the only differance is the horn shell! the hide was sent to a comercial tannery like yours, then eyes were set, then the skull ptate was bolted on, then sewed up, then the 30 day drying time, then the finish work was done, and the last thing was putting on the HORN SHELL IT JUST SLIDES OVER THE BONE ON THE SKULL PLATE. if anyone would like to reply PLEASE READ AND UNDERSTAND THE PROCESS FIRST!
Old 01-18-2005, 02:07 PM

I guess you should reread your post it sure doesn't sound like it is overnight. Any taxidermist can mount a set of antlers on a already done manikan overnight.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

My mounts won't go there, If I'm going to pay for a mount, I'm going to pay for a quality done mount. After you have mounted deer, it is easy to realize that hurrying the mounting process is a bad idea. It's better to take the time and do a quality job. Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-18-2005, 04:51 PM

hi nobody said hurry on the mount , it will take the same time to do as any other mount. but it is worked on before u bring in your antelope, then we take your horn shell of your antelope and place them on the already done mount. this is a over-night process, the next day u can pick up the mount. u don't get your actual cape back,but if there is customer that insist on their actual cape they can do a normal mount. and this process will take no more than 6 months. next time u go to your taxidermist ask him how many hours he spends on just your mount! i can tell u he is not spending any more time than the next guy, he just has to wait 12- 14 months to get started on it! the actual hours if he tans it total = 20- 28 hours if he sends it out to get tanned only= 15-20 hours. HA THATS RIGHT, SO ASK HIM WHY IT TAKES ATLEAST 1 YEAR!!!!!
Old 01-18-2005, 06:03 PM

its kind of obvious this is your company or someones who you know very well.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:11 PM

I agree with mammasboy, those mounts don't look professional or realistic.[:-]

Quick Reply: antelope mount over night?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.