Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

just the horns???

Old 01-07-2005, 10:40 AM

Default just the horns???

if i want to have a bucks horns mounted (just the horns ) what do to take it to be mounted. should i cut the horns off at the base of the antler or do i have to cut the skull??
Old 01-07-2005, 04:51 PM

Default RE: just the horns???

DON'T cut the horns off!!!! Leave them on the skull plate. If your not sure, bring them to the taxidermist. It's cheap to have done.
Old 01-08-2005, 01:13 AM
Typical Buck

Or you could skin out the head (without cutting the antlers) and have a skull mount, similar to the European mount. Depends on yours tastes; board/plaque & felt with antlers or whole skull. (keep in mind a skull mount is a lot of work but looks great!)
Old 01-10-2005, 05:29 AM

just cut the skull across at the eye scoket and down behind them and look at Cabelas or Pro Bass they both have horn mt. kits.or you can make your own.

Wal-Mart also has the kits. I got one for my wife's 10pt. it had a kinda silver cap instead of the velvet.you can put rope around the below the burrs that looks good also.the wal-mart kit had the rope with it.
Old 01-11-2005, 02:47 PM

Wal Mart has the San Angelo mounting kit for horns where I am at. I personaly do not like this one because the felt cover is just a piece of plastic that can cave in easy. I think one of the better ones from any of the taxidermy supply stores would do better for you. That is just my opinion though, and the Wal Mart mounts are not that bad looking and relativly easy to do. The first picture here is a wal mart mount and the second one is a little bit better quality one.