Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Doe with Horns

Old 09-04-2003, 12:18 PM

Default Doe with Horns

yup sure enough...A Hunter in the Umatilla National Forest in Washington shot a 4x4 Mule Deer Buck that turned out to be a Doe. The Fish and Game Dept. confiscated the animal. I personally seen the Animal and it was infact a Doe with Antlers. I guess anything is possible. The Fish and Game had a check station at the road by my Cabin. I was up there talking to them when the guy stoped with the Animal. I did not think it was fare that they confiscated his kill..They did however give him another tag but I still felt that he should have been able to keep it.

Edited just for thenuge15....picky picky hehehehe
Old 09-04-2003, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Doe with Horns

man thats a bunch of cr@p , let the guy keep his animal , its hard enough getting them in the first place , and he did nothing wrong
Old 09-04-2003, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mule deer have antlers not horns.
Old 09-04-2003, 01:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

I also find it wrong that they took the animal from him...that' s nothing more than greed by them to show the animal. That animal belongs to the man that took him. I' d see to it that they were condemned in every way for stealing that animal.....with public opinion perhaps the pressure would cause them to return it.

I' ve heard of whitetail does with antlers, but this is the first mule deer doe I' ve heard of....anyone know of any elk?
Old 09-04-2003, 03:38 PM
Fork Horn

does can grow antlers when they have way too many hormones.... its the only way their bodies can handle them....one of my friends dads shot a doe with antlers once...but i agree they should have let the guy keep the deer... it was antlered..so there by its a legal buck....if u shoot a deer here that has antlers less than 3 inches long its considered antlerless....
Old 09-04-2003, 04:24 PM

Fellow I was hunting with took a Cow Elk with antlers once... we block and tackled it out of the canyon WHOLE so as not to disconnect head from body until it' d been checked... there was no problem with that.. bio said it happened 1 in 5000 times in elk.... the story of that 4 pt blacktail is in the new American Bowhunter Mag and there is no mention of the buck having been confiscated...
Have a great Hunt....
Twangg
Old 09-04-2003, 05:02 PM

We get a couple of those every year here in Michigan. I wonder if it' s nature' s way of trying to even out a 25-1 doe to buck ratio
Old 09-05-2003, 09:16 PM
Typical Buck

Would love to see a picture of that.
Old 09-05-2003, 09:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

That happens also every deer season in Minnesota, someone gets a freak! Some of the racks have been pretty big to.

Good Luck!
Old 09-06-2003, 11:15 PM

A guy that my dad works with had a son that shot a 9-point whitetailed doe a few years back. The doe was in velvet in October!

Quick Reply: Doe with Horns

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.