Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 tanning a deer hide at home how? >

tanning a deer hide at home how?

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

tanning a deer hide at home how?

Old 12-28-2004, 08:43 PM

Default tanning a deer hide at home how?

How much would it cost to tan a deer hide at home. What is the process in tanning a hide and how long it will take to do each part.

thanks[8D]
Old 12-28-2004, 10:48 PM

Default RE: tanning a deer hide at home how?

Primetime, the cost isnt that great, but the time involved will determine how well it turns out. The key to tanning is to be able to "break" the hide for softness. Are you trying to tan the hide with, or without the hair? Those are two very different methods. For a good start on hair off tanning, check out www.braintan.com and for a great hair on recipe, try obtaining the kit from McKenzie Sport Products at 800-279-7985.
Old 01-24-2005, 02:14 PM

I would like to tan a deer hide with the fur on. I'm a little confused about the process. I've read a book on making buckskin, but I don't think that would work for "hair on" tanning.

I've got two fresh deer hides and one brain.

Until I get this figured out, the brain is in a zip lock bag, then wrapped in white freezer paper and frozen in the deep freeze.

The skins were harvested this weekend, but kept cold. I plan to fold them over, meat side in, roll them up, and freeze them until I figure out what do do? I thought I'd just bag them and tie them up several times. Hopefully it won't give the freezer a funny smell.

Where do I go from here? I want to hang them on a wall. Maybe sew them to a small blanket and use it as a throw occassionally.
Old 01-24-2005, 10:01 PM

Hi Dan, I received your email. Well, Id go ahead and say just what I did in the previous post...braintan for hair OFF, and the Mckenzie Tan kit for the hides WITH hair. I think youll find the kit to be right up to your expectations. Theres an instructional video included. I previewed the tape, itll explain all you need to know. Give them a call! Good luck, and let me know how you make out.
Old 01-29-2005, 07:02 AM

The steps for tanning a hide with hair is:
Salt, Lots of salt. Roll it up with hair out and leave over night. The next day shake and rub the salt off, then salt it again.

Then you have to flesh the hide, use a knife and scrape all the fat and membrain off that you can.

Then you will PICKLE. Mix a solution with Salt, Safetee acid, Water. Ratio is 1lb salt x 1 Cap of acid x 1 gl water. Let sit for 3 days.

Then you will have to put some kind of tanning solution on it. Roll it up again hair out over night. wipe excess solution, hang and let dry.

www.taxidermy.net Has links to suppliers and other good info.
Old 01-29-2005, 03:33 PM

The above directions are not as detailed as youll need, thus the suggestion to get directions with a kit in the form of a video!

Youll wanna scrape the fat before salting, as salt does nothing to skin with fat still there. Also, add acid not by volume, but by pH level. Also, after the pickle comes shaving, but most importantly, it needs to be neutralized. Also, after the tan and oil the skin needs to be broke, or soften, manually.

Take my advice, get the kit, youll really enjoy it! Or, like the previous post suggested, if you wanna persue it yourself, the taxinet forums has help...similar to here, but its worth a try.
Old 01-29-2005, 05:16 PM

Yeah there is greater detail than my post, and I forgot about neutralizing. But fleshing is much easier if you salt first. Atleast that is what my instructor says and he has been doing this for 30 years. I do agree with getting the kit, it will be the easiest way. but there are cheaper ways to do it whith common househol products.
Old 01-29-2005, 05:24 PM

salting over fat and letting sit overnite here in my state will spoil the hide as the salt can't penetrate the fat. Good luck. It may work well but I'd bet sooner or later it will bite ya.

And Bill is so right. there is no formula. There are guidelines. It goes by PH level and thats also largely dependant on your water supply.

BILL-- CHECK YOUR PM ON HERE> NEED SOME ?s ANSWERED. Thanks, Jeff
Old 01-29-2005, 07:59 PM

Hi deer4ager. I didnt want to make your post sound wrong, just the point that theres more to this than us guys can post as far as getting someone through it. Hope you didnt take offense.

I generally suggest the kit for one simple reason...its simple! The substitution of components for household recipes can be done, but I dont feel theyre as good, so I usually stick to the proven methods for the beginners. Those guys with 30 yrs experience will find the alternatives once they understand the process.

I used to find it easier to flesh after the salt had a chance to dry up the membranes, etc, but nowadays I just get them clean quickly before salting, and get them salted. Again, thats what those 30 years kinda teaches us. Good luck guys, either way you choose to go!

Jeff, sorry, Ill need to get into the habit of checking those PMs huh? hahaha Ill have a peek...
Old 01-29-2005, 10:08 PM

No offense taken, I am new to this as well, I just started a taxidermy class. I have a long ways to go. I am sure I will learn a-lot here. I thank you and others for ANY oppinion as I am sure primetimearcher does as well.

Quick Reply: tanning a deer hide at home how?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.