Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 Paint - Skull Mount/Euro >

Paint - Skull Mount/Euro

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Paint - Skull Mount/Euro

Old 08-18-2004, 11:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Paint - Skull Mount/Euro

A friend of mine had intentions of euro mounting a deer, I caped it for him last fall so he could boil off. Well he never did until a few weeks ago, needless to say it isn't pristine bone white like it should be. In areas were I assume the blood tainted the skull from being left it has a greyish tinge and have tried everything to whiten it further to no avail. Here comes another problem he decided in his wisdom javex(household bleech) may work, so you guessed it it now includes a yellowish/cream tinge and has made the grey colour stand out even more. I tried to reboil which seemed to fade but still not happy for a wall placement. I got to thinking would a matte white craft paint work to paint the entire skull? The wife is into crafts and she has painted on buffalo skulls before, so that got me to thinking.

What you think would this be a solution for skulls gone bad?
Old 08-18-2004, 02:17 PM

Default RE: Paint - Skull Mount/Euro

Place the skull in the sun for a few days to dry. Once the skull has been dried for a few days in the sun, it is ready for the bleaching process. Some people skip this process. It all depends on how white you want your skull to look. If you are going for a more off white natural look, don't bleach it. If you want your skull gleaming white, go ahead with the next step.

Place the skull in a container (can't be metal) of hydrogen peroxide. You can purchase this at beauty supply stores at 40% volume, or at grocery stores, drug stores or chain stores at 3% volume . The strength of the peroxide will determine on how long you will have to leave the skull in the solution. If you use the 40% volume, leave the skull in it no more than about 12 hours (overnight). If you use the 3% volume, it may have to be in there for a couple of days. Make sure that you cover, or put a lid on the container with the bleach so it will work properly.

After the bleaching process, take the skull out and let it sit in the sun again for several days to dry. Once it is dry, glue any loose teeth or missing teeth back in with Elmer's glue. It dries clear and can not be seen once it has dried.

Now you may want to spray your skull with a slight mist of Deft matte wood finish or just leave it as it is. I found that if I spray my skulls with a finish afterwards, they stay clean longer, and they are easier to keep clean later on down the road.

good luck Aaron B

Old 08-18-2004, 02:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have bleached the skull with peroxide but still isn't white. Like I said I assume because it was left for so long the marks in the skull(greyish colour) are from the blood. Personally never left a caped skull for several months, so it is just a guess.

I could try and do it all over again but it has yet gotten the desired effect...therefore I got to thinking about matte craft paint.
Old 08-18-2004, 04:44 PM

hydrogen peroxide and a bleach powder mix into a paste. paint on the skull with a brush leave it for a day or two it should come out white give this a try if you use paint it will look like s^#$ just try this again with a strong PEROXIDE.
Old 08-18-2004, 10:02 PM

believe it or not this one we found on a hunt,we believe it was poaches because whoever shot it only took the hams and left the rest so we took the skull and hung it up on the skinning rack for about 4 months and i had never euro'd anything before but i herd about it and decided i should try it,i had nothing to loose....well i ended up boiling it in a water dish soap mixture if for about 45 minutes and every 5 or so minutes i took my knife and cut bits of skin off each time and i got done with that and dumped out my water and put new water and believe it or not clorox bleach and i used alot of bleach and boiled it for another 30 minutes and let it dry......tell me what you think....i myself love it,but it was my first...

shootr

Old 08-18-2004, 10:06 PM

another view