Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

rainbow trout

Old 07-30-2004, 12:16 AM

Default rainbow trout

Hello, my name is mark and I'm 13. Today I caught a rainbow trout and I wanted to get it taxidermied. Once it was dead, I put it in a wet sock, put the wet sock in a garbage bag, and then I put the garbage bag into the freezer. Will I still be able to get it taxidermied? What is the difference between, skin mounts and reproductions? Because I wanted to get the real fish on the wall. Do I need to take care of my fish once it is taxidermied, or can I just like dust it off?

thanks mark
Old 07-30-2004, 08:57 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: rainbow trout

You should still be able to have it mounted. Reproductions are just that, fiberglass reproductions. When your checking out taxidermists, make sure the one you choose uses cast, or artificial, heads on cold water fish and not the real head.
Old 08-01-2004, 08:33 AM

Default RE: rainbow trout

In order to get the actual fish on the wall, a reproduction is impossible. Your method of storing the fish was pretty good. You should also make sure the fins aren't bent up when putting it in the freezer. A good method, in the future, would be to wrap the fish in a wet towel and put in a zip lock or whatever. Make sure the fins are down and you'll be fine. As far as taking care of it, dusting is fine.

congrats on the fish.