Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

rainbow trout

Old 07-30-2004, 12:20 AM

Default rainbow trout

Hello, my name is mark and I caught a rainbow trout today. I put it in a wet sock, and then I put the wet sock in a garbage bag, and then I put the garbage bag in the freezer. Will I still be able to get it taxidermied? Which is better, a skin mount or a reproduction, because I wanted the real fish on my wall, now a fake one.

thanks mark
Old 07-30-2004, 07:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: rainbow trout

Mark,
I don't know about the wet sock... I'd be afraid it would stick to the skin when it freezes... those rainbows have delicate skin. I could be wrong though. I just wrap the fish in 3 or 4 garbage bags. When are you planning on bringing it to the taxidermist?
I prefer skin mounts. I think they look more real. The only problem is that with a rainbow there is alot of painting involved. It is really hard to get the exact colors... even with a photo. Make sure you get an excellent taxidermist for your trout. Trout & Salmon are an entire different ball game than bass & pike... Alot harder!

let us know how you make out.